blowing fuse cause of short in wiring harness..need help!!!!

i have a audi a6 99?....i have a short somewhere in the wiring harness cuase it keeps blowing the fuse....unfortunately the fuse is on the same circuit that controls the transmission switch, cruise and about 6 other items....we cant find the short...does anyone have the wiring schematics or any suggestions on how i can fix this problem.... thanks cp

Reply to
cpatel77

cp, Chasing electrical problems in an Audi is one heck of a job - even with the schematics in hand you'll find that many circuits are daisy chained together, and stray voltage can be sent across a number of circuits. The best circuit diagram I have seen for my cars (admittedly, not anything newer than 1987) has been the one in the Bentley Manual. If you take your car to a shop, that's the diagram they'll be using to trace the fault. Unless it's a common fault, and you would know that from checking with the a6 forum in Audiworld, the time you'd spend tracing wires is probably similar to what the mechanic would charge you for, if you want to DIY, then spend the $ you'd spend on the mechanic's time on the set of manuals for your car, and then you'll have them for future repairs. Armed with the diagrams, I'd try and isolate the problem by figuring out what is tied to the fuse, unplug them all, and then plug them back in one by one until the fuse blows - of course, you can't plug a tranny servo in while driving, unless you hire that guy that works for Mitsubishi....... At least be thankful it's not a British car - my mom's MGB used to start the engine by pulling up on the handbrake Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - "no dash lights" problem fixed - too many burned out bulbs in the instrument cluster and a burned out license plate bulb 1980 Audi 5k - "flashing dash lights" problem fixed - corrosion in the front turn signal housing 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - "smoking headlight switch" problem diagnosed - regulator overranging voltage - burned my finger on the switch last week...ooooowwwwww...... (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply) "cpatel77" wrote in message news:1_625076 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com...

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Steve Sears