Short bolt on Door???

Hello all...

I have a 84 Quattro, the other day I opened the passenger door and a bolt fell out. It came out of a hole next to the door latch. It has a large philipps head, 15mm, looks to be 7 mm dia x 10 mm long. If you have a Chilton manuel, check Chap 12, Bodywork and fittings, picture 8.1 Front Door Lock - you will see a hole in the middle right of the picture, exactly where the bolt came from. When I shake the door there is a definite rattle in it, just want to know if it is something that I need to repair - it means taking off the whole panel to get at what it attaches too...

tks Rush

Reply to
Rush Dougherty

I should repair it, if I were you. The door panel is removement is not a big job. Audi never puts bolts where they are not needed.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

... and it holds the door handle on. Just screw it back into the hole. I used to use a strong magnet on the screwdriver to hold it while I got it threaded, but that's a PITA keeping it from sticking to the doorskin instead. Now, I just use a screwdriver with the biggest Phillips tip I have and it pretty much stays put, but you need a steady hand. If you drop it,

*then* you'll be taking off the inner door panel.

OTOH, that cheap potmetal POS door latch assembly might have broken, in which case you'll need a new one. But keep the screw anyway. You'll need it. There's also *supposed* to be a rubber cover on that hole; not that it matters much.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; fixed that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger