the new A6, what differences are there with the current A6

I am considering buying another car to replace my 1999.03 A6 FWD 2.4 manual.

My wife likes a A3 but realizes that it might be to small for us when the holiday season arrives. I like the A4 Avant but looking at the A6 in the dealers showroom made me realize what a nice car an A6 actually is. I am considering an Allroad too. Or is that going to be replaced by an iteration of the new A6 too???

I want my next car to have an automatic gear (and prob. quattro too)

Regards,

Edwin The Netherlands

Reply to
-=EHH=-

I was surprised at what I could fit into the trunk of our first Audi A4 but the trunk of my A6 is substantially larger.

I have no information on the A3 as they are not available here.

If you are going to be hauling children and their stuff around you would do well to consider the A4 or A6 Avant for their cargo capacity if you like the Station Wagon format

Reply to
JPB357

A3's trunk is smaller than A4's, by a great amount. It's enough for every day use, and enough to take few persons luggages, but if you can fill up A4's, then of course you can fill up A3's.

However, if you only occassionally need more space, you can expand the A3's trunk by lowering the seats. But as you said, if you've got kids and their hockey sticks, and so on, it's no family car. But it sure is a nice car to drive, and looks better than A4/A6 ;)

- Yak

Reply to
Michael Burman

Michael,

I agree fully that you need to know the intended purpose before a recommendation can be made.

In my case I really have no "need" for an A6 2.7Tq. I had an A4 1.8Tq and Jill was wanting a new car and coveted one like mine after seeing that with quattro.... bad weather is not a factor.

I just "wanted" it, could afford it, so I bought it.

Would I do it again? Hmmmmmmm I would probably go back to another A4 quattro now that they have been stretched. If I did get the A6 I would go with the 3 liter engine and save $7000.

JPB

Reply to
JPB357

Thans JPB and Michael.

What I want of my new car is comfort (and german build); I don't want or need a 300+hp car. I just want to be able to drive safe comfortably. And I don't use the car alot (my old A6 has done less than 60K km ~about 40K mls in the past 5 years)

A new car:

- I very much like the looks of the new A3 (when is the 5-door comming btw) but it is to small for us.

- I like the A4 Avant (beter than the limo version; strange because I do like the Limo A6 better than the Avant A6) and think it is big enough (although I am spoiled having had a spacious (sp?) A6).

- The A6 I have now I like but I regret not having bought an Tip and Quattro ... and double glass (is it called so?) !

- I am not sure about the Allroad. It is expensive (due to its 2.7TT engine which I do not 'need') and I havent driven it yet (hope to do that in a few weeks time)

But since there is a new A6 coming (my dealer told me that it is introduced on the Dutch market in May this year) I want to know what that car is about. I searched the internet but to no avail. My dealer told me it would be more expensive (+ 10%) and bigger (12 cm longer and 7 cm wider; in inches that is ~5 and ~3 respectively). ANd that is all I know.

Who knows more about the new A6 ? And is there a quattro with Multitronic available soon ?

Regards,

Edwin

BTW: I had a look at the prices of an A6 3.0 Tq ... MSRP US$ 39,450. I have to pay EURO 60,000 to get that car ... US$ 74,326.90 (According to xe.com)

Reply to
-=EHH=-

Why don't you buy my 99 S420 Mercedes? 57,000 miles. Built like a bank vault. V-8. Most comfortable car on the road. 4 new tires, new front brakes, perfect mechanically, perfect interior, clean to excellent exterior. Dark Blue exterior, Gray Leather interior. 6 CD changer, plus a million convenience gadgets (e.g. self closing doors, trunk, integral phone, bose stereo-- it's an S - Class) I'll sell it to you for $28,000.00 United States Dollars..... you can handle shipping.

I have my eye on a 2002 S8 Audi Sedan with 360 hp and 317 torque. But I do want to go fast. : - )

Larry

snipped-for-privacy@btcommercial.com

Reply to
REInvestments

In alt.autos.audi, "-=EHH=-" wasted keystrokes on the following:

Sick, isn't it? And the sickest part is that they build the cars right around the corner from here.. then ship them to the other side of the world and sell them for half the price there. No wonder everyone can afford big ass SUVs and sportscars over there. For the price of a basic A4 here in Holland, you can get an S4 in the US plus enough gas for the rest of your life... :-(

Reply to
Bram

Edwin,

Have you investigated the possibility of taking your holiday in the US and bringing a car home with you?

Reply to
JPB357

What, if any, conversions would have to be made to bring a US spec car back into europe? What would shipping and taxes amount to?

Reply to
JPB357

There was talk about multitronic quattro last summer but it is still not available in the US. Last time I asked I was told by the salesman (who coincidentally lives next door to me) that Audi was doing durability testing.

I did have the opportunity to drive a 3 liter multitronic A4 Cabriolet for a week when my A6 was in for repairs. It was amazingly fast and "shifted" seamlessly. I was very impressed.

Jon

Reply to
JPB357

"REInvestments" schreef in bericht news:f1uSb.35755$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Larry,

Thanks for your kind offer but you have to find funds for the S8 somewhere else :-). I think I saw the S8 you are looking for when cruising the internet last night (Stevens Creek Audi ?) Very nice. I know of a 2002 S8 (with 25K km) in The Netherlands costing EURO 89500

Actually your Mercedes is a nice car and although I like MB my wife doesnt!

Good luck purchasing the S8. A very nice car indeed.

Regards,

Edwin

Reply to
-=EHH=-

"JPB357" schreef in bericht news:401a76d9$0$15634$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.fuse.net...

Jon,

I don't know. Not many I guess. The steering wheel is already on the right side :-)

Edwin

Reply to
-=EHH=-

"JPB357" schreef in bericht news:401a74dd$0$45217$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.fuse.net...

Jon

No I haven't ... and I rather buy it locally to benefit from the warranty (although it costs alot for a little peace of mind). You made me curious what importing a car from the US would cost though; anybody?

Edwin

Reply to
-=EHH=-

"JPB357" schreef in bericht news:401a78e0$0$15645$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.fuse.net...

I drove an A6 2.4 V6 with multitronic and was impressed too. Strange feeling: increasing speed without making more rev's.

Reply to
-=EHH=-

In alt.autos.audi, "-=EHH=-" wasted keystrokes on the following:

Expect to pay at least 40% BPM at the border...

Reply to
Bram

A stiff penalty to be sure but still significantly less expensive that buying one there.

Reply to
JPB357

Edwin,

I just looked at my (2001) warranty booklet. On page 2 under "Where to go for Warranty Service" "This warranty will be honored by any authorized Audi dealer in the United States (including its dependants and territories) or Canada. If you Audi is brought to an authorized Audi dealer outside the United States or Canada, this warranty will not apply. Defects in materials or workmanship will be corrected under the terms of the warranty for new Audi vehicles in effect in that country."

It sounds, to me, that you would be eligible for warranty coverage

Reply to
JPB357

Why so cheap? Can I swap ya for an '03 Passat GLX and a box o' donuts? ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

sweet

Reply to
Nige

The average household income in the U.S. is less than $40,000 a year USD. You guys make a lot more than we do on average to help with the added cost of living in Europe. A $100,000 a year income here in the U.S. won't make you very rich, but it will put you *well* above the national average and allow more freedom than most get.

Reply to
Steve Grauman