timing belt replacement 98 A6 28 Quattro

I just received an estimate of a 5 hour job @ $650 total to replace the timing belt, including replacing the water pump and coolant - which was recommended by the mechanic. Does this sound reasonable? Do you think that the new water pump is necessary? Thanks...

Reply to
ddayaudi

time and cost is about right for that work. yes its worth doing the pump.

while the engine is down it might be wise to also replace the multi v belt, tensioner and belt dampers.

Its more money obviously but worth thinking about.

dj £630 for A4 2.4 V6

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Yes and Yes.

Add the timing belt tensioner, front seal, thermostat, G12 antifreeze and misc gaskets. All are important to change when the T belt is being done.

$650 sounds very fair.

ddayaudi wrote:

Reply to
TonyJ

"ddayaudi" a écrit dans le message de news:

6a6e10e188557@uwe...

My 1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro needed a new timing belt every 120,000 km. The stupid mechanics didn't replace the water pump at 120,000 km and guess what happened? Yes, the water pump leaked at about 200000 km. Then I took the opportunity to replace the timing belt as well. By the way, your time estimate doesn't seem high. Hope this helps

Reply to
GT

Reply to
ddayaudi via CarKB.com

Good price, you can pay now, or later. Their prices seem good. How good is the warranty?

Reply to
Bill

yes sounds about right............

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Sounds about right. I called around to 3 "local" dealers and was quoted anywhere from $1,200 to $1,700 for the lot. I went ahead and did it all myself with the help of a friend. Parts only cost plus a gallon fo coolant ran about $400 altogether, plus $100 for the special tools to hold the camshafts & crankshaft. It took roughly 5-6 hours to get it all done.

Def>The car is in right now and they are receommending the additional parts

Reply to
Sadfly