Timing belt on a 1999 A6 Quattro 2.8?

My dealer just recommended I get a timing belt replacement .. I've got 74K miles on a 1999 A6 Quattro 2.8. They gave me an estimate of $1,500 for this service.

Does this sound reasonable? I only know one good auto repair place near me other than the dealer, and they laughed when I asked them if they would do a timing belt on an Audi. The answer was no.

So I don't have anything to compare the estimate to, and no one really to ask for advice re: whether this should be done.

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
Thundersmash

As far as whether now is time to do it, I'd say yes!

Is the dealer quote reasonable? Well, it's steep, but not unheard of given it's a dealer. Doing the TB replacement is not easy, but it's not rocket science either. Keep looking for an independent shop in your area - you should be able to reduce this amount by at lest $500, depending on what exactly gets replaced (besides the TB itself).

If you tell us where you live, someone may be able to recommend a reputable shop near you.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Hi Pete!

Thanks for the reply .. I'm in the Rancho Cucamonga / San Bernardino area of Southern California. Choking on the smog. At least I'm in an A6. ;)

If anyone has ideas on reputable Audi shops for me to get a quote, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
Thundersmash

I got the timing belt replaced in April 03 for $250 at DOM's Auto Service. Pittsburgh(Leetsdale) Pa. 1997 A6 Quattro 2.8l. 118K miles. Audi dealer said it would be $1650.00

PS: make sure you check the rear wheel alignment on the car, turned out to be the cause of several worn sets of tires.

Thundersmash wrote:

Reply to
Eric Johnson

Had this work complewted on my '99 A6Q at 75K. They do the belt and the water pump together. Cost was about $1300.

Reply to
Dale Webler

p.s. This was an Audi dealer that did the work. It's part of the recommended maint. at 75K. Also changed oil and micron filter for cabin air.

Reply to
Dale Webler

Reply to
Roland B

That about what the local Audi dealer did mine for, so you're in the ballpark.

Reply to
Dale Webler

If they're the only place around qualified to do this, it's not suprising that they're charging a bit more. I live near Los Angeles, so there's lots of dealers & independant shops. My dealer charged about $900 u.s. for the labor and the kit. The kit includes the belt, tensioner, water pump, and a few other things I don't remember.

75,000 miles on a 2.8, it's probably time. I had less than 60,000 when I changed mine this summer, but my car is a 1997, so it was a time issue.

Vic

1997 a4 2.8q 2000 Mustang GT

Reply to
Victor DiMichina