Transmission code 2000 S4

I have gotten some error codes on an S4 I recently bought used. The code is P0741. It referrs to the "T/C clutch performance or stuck off". Googling the web I see fixes from -add trans fluid to replace the transmission. Anyone here have any experiance with this code. This S4 has the V6 and 5 speed auto trans. I have not had the chance to check the fluid yet so it may be that simple. Too cold to get out there and crawl under it, temp in the single digits lately and no room in the garage. I have put several thousand miles on it since purchase and it performs fine. I have reset the code and it comes back in a few hundred miles but I can't sense any difference whether the CEL is on or off. I will check the fluid level this W/E. Thanks.

Reply to
Phantom

I believe the code is for a bad torque converter

Reply to
audiwriter

Specifically, the code is for a leaking seal buried deep inside the TC and seal is not user replaceable.

Some folks with this code report slightly higher RPM's on the highway and slightly higher trans fluid temps due to TC seal leaking. It is not usually a screaming panic to replace so you should have time to plan and prepare. It's a bit of a job to replace TC so consider installing a good one when the time comes. Among others, 3zero3 is a good place to start for an upgraded TC.

Follow Bentley Manual or similar for Trans Fluid level checks as it must be performed when trans fluid is within a specific warm temp range in order to obtain correct volume. To add ATF fluid, you'll need a ~1 foot length tube with a 100 degree or more bend at the upper end and attached to a fluid pump to push fluid up inside vertical fill tube which is accessible from bottom of trans.

Reply to
K04-S4

If you want a good selection id try a parts locator. One place that can find you a good short or long block for a '

'
is 'TEXAS junkyards'
Junk Yards in TEXAS TX salvagerecycler. They have a link somehow to multiples of thousands of recycling centers and will locate the best one for you.

Reply to
jkyards