Washer fluid tank leak

2003 TT Quattro

Hello,

The warning light came on that the washer fluid tank was empty. Half- filled it and couldn't see any visible leak, tried it out and the washers came on ok. The next day, the light came back on and the tank was completely empty.

I'd prefer not to have to take the front end of the car to bits just to see what has happened - has anyone had this occur before?

More importantly, I'm wondering what caused it to suddenly leak and am hoping that it's not something serious that caused it...

Thanks, CDR

Reply to
CDR

CDR knastet inn: :

Check hoses to the headlight washers, behind the bumper. Where the main hose is connected to the two hoses to each headlight, the connector may leak. Since its lower than the fluid tank, your leak may be there.

Reply to
Frank

If it is there you should find fluid that has leaked out on the inside of the bumper and plastic cover under the engine in that area.

If that is not it I would suspect that the seal for the pump has started leaking (especially if you are in a cold climate) or the pump has cracked and needs to be replaced.

On most models this can be reached fairly easily by removing the driver's side wheel and the plastic fender lining. The pumps for windshield and lights are located on the front side of the washer tank and can be easily replaced.

Reply to
TonyJ

I have this issue on my car too. I was not aware of this when I bought it. My previous owner got it checked from the dealer but they could not find any leaks. But the tank does get empty very soon. This was not especially in cold weather. But I do see the coolant dripping from somewhere near the bumper. I have to check the headlight washers.

Reply to
Vk

I also had this problem. It was the connector to the headlight washer as well.

Reply to
Jims Audi

Therer is a quick disconnect on the drivers side of the bumper.There is a small black 0-ring on the quick disconnect that I have seen leak especially whenever the temperature gets very cold. I do agree with the other comments that the o-ring that is under the motors can leak as well as any connection in the headlight washer system. I have also seen the washer pump casing rust and cause a leak where the two halves come together.

A word of caution if you should pull the washer otor out of the bottle. The seal is available as a seperate part and if you find the leak from this seal I sugeest that you purchase more than 1. Pulling the w/motor is no problem. Replacing the seal is easy the hard part is reinstalling the pump into the bottle. It is very easy to push the seal into the bottle only to find that you did when you refill the bottle.

Reply to
audiwriter