Used A6 Avant opinions?

Hi all,

I am considering the purchase of an Audi A6 avant 2000, with 60K and the 2.8 v6 tiptonic. My concern is maintenance cost. I would appreciate any advice/data that you may have to help me with this purchase. The car will be used as a daily driver in New England 400 miles a week. What should I look for at my pre-purchase inspection? Does anyone have any records of their maintenance dollars?

Thank You.

Reply to
rtonole

You should ask if the timing belt and associated parts have already been changed (probably not). If not that is an expense that you should consider as part of the cost in the next 10M or so. Cost can range from $600 to $1,200 depending on where it is done.

Suspension may squeak like in the A4 models. Ask about it.

The 2.8 engine is really quite dependable but most have a tendency to leak oil from the cam seals and valve covers. When they do you can smell it in the cabin at times. If this one leaks and you want it to stop plan on about $600 to correct.

It is a good car and should provide dependable and comfortable service.

T> Hi all,

Reply to
Tony

I bought a used 1995 2.8 Quattro wagon which I think had about 30K miles on it and traded it at about 140K miles. Then I bought a used 1998 2.8 Quattro wagon which had around 25K miles on it and traded it at around 140K miles. Then I bought a used 2003 which I am still driving. The 95 and the 98 never had any expensive problems. I think that the largest bill I ever had was around $300. Once they were out of warranty they were maintained by a local mechanic. (The 98, by the way, I sold to the mechanic!) Neither car ever left me stranded. (Unlike the 2003 which had a fuel pump failure on an Interstate.)

Bob

Reply to
eBob.com