Left for dead in my A4

Yeah--so I was driving home from SF to LA on the 5 freeway at 4 AM. All of a sudden, the gas pedal stops working on my 2004 A4. I press the gas, but there's no acceleration. I pull to the side of the road and stop the car. The car won't start. But there's strong odor of gas inside the cabin. I'm stranded...quite literally in the middle of nowhere.

I know jack about cars, but I went on to google with my cell phone and searched around--seems like it could be a broken fuel pump or fuel line. Fantastic!

My warranty is still in effect--but it took Audi 7 hours to get someone out there to tow it to my dealer. Granted, it was 4 AM and like 150 miles from civilization. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Luckily the tow truck came before I was picked apart by vultures or some strange chainsaw-wielding family in an abandoned house took me in.

So the car is in the shop right now--what do you guys think? Fuel pump? I guess I'll find out Monday when the service department opens again.

Reply to
Ralph A. Barbagallo III

I wonder if this could be a case for having AAA? (NOT that I recommend AAA!)

Reply to
PeterD

SF to LA on the 5 freeway at 4 AM.........was it foggy too? ;-)

Sounds like a ruptured fuel line maybe from damage. TG that there wasn't any BBQ with you being the main course for the vultures. ;-)

let us know what happens!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I-5 between LA and Sacramento (it doesn't go directly through SF) passes through some pretty unpopulated areas, but it really is not "in the middle of nowhere." At most times of any day there is plenty of traffic, and it seems each exit has auto service facilities. It's the major highway between northern and southern California (and the only north-south freeway in that area) so it has the traffic much like an urban freeway. At most, a tow truck should have been about 30-45 minutes from wherever you were at. It sounds more like Audi's roadside service wasn't too good.

Since owning Audis and VWs I've always had AAA roadside assistance. I've never waited more than 20 or so minutes for service to show up. Once when I was in friend's Ford that lost a timing belt (non-interference engine, btw) the freeway patrol was there within 5 minutes and towed us off the freeway, and the AAA tow was waiting for us at the end of the exit ramp. The breakdown added a total of 15 minutes or so to our trip home from SF airport.

Reply to
Keep on Plonkin'

Yeah that's one question I had--how does AAA compare? I had AAA years and years ago but luckily never had to use it. I figured this Audi roadside was just as good...but waiting 7 hours was out of control.

They also were giving me grief because they only pay for 90 miles of being towed, and my dealer was around 140 miles away. They wanted to tow me 80 miles in the complete other direction to Santa Barbara! Otherwise, I was going to have to pay for 50 miles at $5 a mile! Then the chick on the phone said they have a "Service Interruption" clause where they pay for a rental and hotel for up to 5 days at $100 a day. So I said why don't you just pay for the rest of the tow instead? (My dealer gives me a free rental) They eventually paid for it, but the fact that I had to argue about this with vultures circling overhead (ok not really) was ridiculous.

Granted, I hear AAA has the same 90-100 mile tow policy?

All I had in my car was a pack of fig newtons and some old bottled water. Just one man against the elements. Of course I didn't want to drink any water since there was nowhere to go to the bathroom (an infinite cotton field / desert!) and thus didn't want to eat my Fig Newton because then I'd have to drink.

I should get a boy scout survival medal or someth>> Yeah--so I was driving home from SF to LA on the 5 freeway at 4 AM. All

Reply to
Ralph A. Barbagallo III

Now I've lost all respect for you... The rest of us just stand beside the car and let it fly!

Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
Ralph A. Barbagallo III

ROFL!

Reply to
PeterD

Fuel Pump, pretty common my A4 has had 2 :)

Reply to
Ronny

Damn right! Is a bear Catholic? Where does the Pope shit? IN THE WOODS, that's where!

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

An atheist was taking a walk through the woods. "What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself.

As he continued walking alongside the river he heard a rustling in the bushes. Turning to look, he saw a 7 foot grizzly charging towards him. He ran as fast as he could up the path. Looking over his shoulder he saw that the bear was closing in on him. His heart was pumping frantically and he tried to run even faster.

He tripped and fell on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up but saw the bear raising his paw to take a swipe at him. At that instant the atheist cried out: "Oh my God!..."

Time stopped. The bear froze. The forest was silent.

It was then that bright light shone upon the man and a voice came out of the sky saying: "You deny my existence for all of these years, teach others I don't exist and even credit creation to a cosmic accident. Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I to count you as a believer?"

The atheist looked directly into the light, "It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps, could you make the BEAR a Christian?"

"Very well," said the voice. The light went out. And the sounds of the forest resumed. And then the bear lowered his paw, bowed his head and spoke, "Lord, bless this food which I am about to receive and for which I am truly thankful."

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

BRAVO!!!!! Thanks for sharing; I am now infesting my own Internet circles with this treasure.

Reply to
KLS

Just got it back--busted fuel line. I thought they said the fuel pump was broken and they replaced it, but looking at the work order it looks like they just replaced the fuel line and fuel filter. There was a fuel leak which was the source of the gas smell too.

I learn something new about this car every time I bring it in--I got it used about a year ago (it's a 2004). The first time I discovered that the previous owner had installed glow lights under the car that were unplugged (ugh--those were kind of cool......in 1993) This time I discovered that the front and rear air dam/spoiler whatever are custom--not Audi stock. (Some kind of body mod that goes under the bumpers) They're actually made of plastic. Fantastic. You can't really tell--well I can't tell, but that's because I'm not a car guy. But why would someone do that to the already gorgeous stock Audi?

No wonder why my Audi owning friends that recommended the car were mystified at the body kit when I got it.

Oh well.

Ralph A. Barbagallo III > wrote:

Reply to
Ralph A. Barbagallo III

thanks for the update and glad you are back rolling. ;-) Well since the previous owner might have done some "mods" to your Audi, that could explain things like a busted fuel line. I would still want to know HOW it broke? flexing, something rubbing against it, or ???

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Ralph A. Barbagallo III

maybe the filter was not secured to the vehicle and it vibrated and cracked the line going to it. just a wild guess! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1