1997 740iL - risk factors - for a friend.

I have read about the maintenance costs on the 740s, but I would like to give my buddy a more specific answer. Any ideas about what services are due in the near future and/or what is likely to fall apart ?

Here's the excerpt of the original email, privacy-protected.

-------------------------------- I'm thinking of buying a used 1997 BMW 740iL. I read that people really love to drive it, but that the reliablity on accessories is really really bad.

I found someone [close to the northern CA city I live in ] who is selling one with 65K on it for around 16,000. I can probably get him a little cheaper, but because the milage is so low it probably is not worth it.

I was thinking of making it a gift to [my girl] - she always wanted a car like this, and she has no clue that I am looking into this. I was going to sell my [current car] and replace it with a beemer. I figure it will last a long time, even though I know there will be problems with the accessories and electronics. What do you think? Is it even worth considerting, or should I look elsewhere? The seller says everything in the car works, but I was going to take it to a mechanic first and have them to a full check to see if this is true or not.

If you think that there are better models, let me know, but I like the size of the 740. Or, is there a better alternative with similar size/features that would be a little cheaper/more reliable after market. I know the BMW name carries a little more weight...

Let me know what you think!

I was also looking at a 1995 750iL - although it looks good, it has almost 100K on it. But, it has bullet proof glass - how cool (and useless) is that??? :-)

----------------------------

Reply to
N Nair

The 12 cyl. is even more expensive, but some say are the smoothest engines BMW ever built. In general, I would opt for the 8 cyl. My brother has an 1999 e38 740iL that has been wonderful. These are sophisticated cars with a lot of features. My best advice is to take it to the dealer for an inspection/estimate. Here is a few links with some info. on what to look for as you check out the car:

see: Bill's E38 Buying FAQ And search this board (it has a search feature near the top for "buying

740iL problems")
I own a 1995 525i (e34) and love it. Don't let your emotions get involved, after dealer inspection/estimate use that as bargaining leverage. If the seller doesn't have good records, I wouldn't even go near it. Good luck
Reply to
pjjohnsen

Hey, it just depends on -which- Northern California town you live in...might be very useful.

They had sorted the infamous 'sulfur' problem by '96, right? What -was- the policy with the engine replacements? Where's the V8 Engine Death FAQ? My special lady-friend wants a 740iL, but I can't seem to find one with an M30 engine ;->

304,000 on my E28..what, me worry?

cds

Reply to
bd_juju