1999 540i engine cuts out

Hi all you experts out there. Here is one for you.

My 1999 540i recently stranded me on the side of the road. I had just passed a vehicle and then went down a dip in the road and voila nothing. All electrics etc still on but motor just cut out. We had it towed to the dealer and the damn thing started. Just to check it out they looked at the fuel system and found a loose wire to the fuel pump. They replaced it, I picked up the vehicle and drove it 100kms home and just as I went over our gravel driveway it did it again. Another $200 tow and back to the dealer. Again they figured it was the electrical connection to the fuel pump and fixed it again. Now 3 weeks later and it has done it again. Symptoms are that the motor cuts out. All other electrics are fine and it will turn over etc but appears to be getting no fuel at all. I've now paid $600 and 3 repair jobs and it still isn't fixed. Apparently the fuel pump is glue mounted in the tank. Mechanic now figures that the pump is moving and breaking the connection. In every case it has happened either after rapid acceleration or stopping or going over a bump. Has anyone else had any thing like this happen with a 99

540i and what was the problem. Please answer before I use all my xmas money on tow fees. By the way I never new how much jealousy was out there. You should hear some of the comments yelled at a bloke on the side of the road with a broken down beemer......
Reply to
Andy B

Baldy

Reply to