Saab engine cuts out

I have a Saab 900 se covertible and the engine keeps cutting out. The information I have is as follows:

1) when I go to start the car, some times the dashboard lights do not come on. All the electrics work, ie, lights, wippers, radio, heater. The engine turns over but will not start. After about 20 tries the ignition lights come on and the engine starts ok. Is this a ignition module problem or an alarm issue?

2) The engine cuts out for no reason. This happens both when I am driving and stationary. When I go to restart the car, it will not start regardless if all the dashboard lights are on.

Is this a known problem? has anyone had the same and fixed it?

I am thankfull for anyhelp.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I don't think it is the DI this time because of the dashboard lights. It sounds more like a broken wire connection. Perhaps the shaking of the engine creates some contact in the wire or plug, so it's probably a wire in that vicinity.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Dave,

Year of car and engine would be helpful, but I am assuming a NG900 in your case (1995-1998 for CV). Sounds like classic ignition switch failure. A common fault on those cars. Part of the 15 circuit cuts off. This is indicated by loss off warning lights in dash. Alarm module will not cause that.

Good luck, Steve Crowe, Saab Master Tech, who represents himself and no one else Harpers Ferry, WV

Reply to
Steve Crowe

Thanks for all the help guys.

It weas indeed the ignition switch. A replacement fixed the problem straight off. Although not cheep (UK Price), it is a small price to pay to have the car back on the road!

Advise for those who have the same problem:

Saab relpacement ignition switch (yes you do keep your original key) £78. Saab main dealer labour approx £75

Could have possibly done the work myself, or found a cheeper garage. However, it took them about 1 hour to do and now I am a happy Saab owner again.

Thanks again all Dave

Reply to
Dave

Wow. Price for a SAAB OEM switch in the US is only $56. (~£29) It isn't too hard to change either. I've done it a couple of times before...

-Fred

Reply to
Fred W.

Yup.......it was a pain, but also could have been dangerous. Mine was occasionally cutting out whilst cruising.....usually only for a second.......but imagine if it cut out when overtaking! Pete (MVH post)

Reply to
pmg