2000 E46 Electrical Gremlin

Had the dealer install the alarm with the door locks, etc. In the last few weeks the doors have stopped locking automatically and the radio presets are gone when you turn the key on. Wife drives it and also states that the mirrors are not acting like they did previously.

Any ideas? I checked the battery after the car sat for two days and it was at a flat 12 volts - had it checked at the auto shop today and it was at 12.78 after being driven for about 30 minutes. Replaced the battery because we had similar strange things happen with a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years ago.

Reply to
ReddDawg

The radio needs permanent power to hold its station memory so it sounds like a circuit is down. You've obviously checked the appropriate fuses?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, and then while we had the battery out to swap them out nothing lost it's preset - radio stations, clock, etc. However the door locks still did not work on the way home.

Reply to
ReddDawg

Yes. When replacing the battery the radio and clock maintained their memory but even with the new battery the locks are not automatically working once the car is in motion. She also told me that on Monday (before the new battery) the lights wanted to stay on when she got to work.

Reply to
ReddDawg

"ReddDawg" wrote

Remove the alarm. There have been numerous reports of after-market alarms not integrating well with the BMW electrical system. You're better off with a factory alarm; if you're in the US the alarm system only needs the motion detector and a small computer mod to activate.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Not true of the E46. The factory alarm kit comes with the motion sensor, tilt sensor, and alarm horn assembly.

Also...if the dealer installed an alarm, it was probably the factory alarm.

JRE

Reply to
JRE

It is the factory alarm. All is working well except the door locks - they just quit.

Reply to
ReddDawg