2008 328i 2dr coupe power steering standard?

I just got the new 2008 328i 2dr coupe. I did not choose active steering. However, I did choose the sports package and the automatic transmission with paddle shifters. I refused a lot of other options.

The steering is very stiff. Was power steering an option? Does it come with power steering by default? How can I check if I have power steering?

Reply to
Arctic Inferno

What car were you driving before?

Can't remember the last car BMW made without power steering.

Try turning the wheel with the ignition off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No need to "check" - you have power steering.

Most people who are BMW enthusiasts and like a car that handles consider heavily boosted power steering (found in US and Japanese cars) a sin.. so BMW caters to the driving enthusiast. "active" is something else entirely - it's a variable ratio power steering system that changes the steering ratio in relation to speed. Different ball of wax.

Reply to
admin

The answer to your question, what car was I driving before, is Honda Civic LX 2dr coupe, which had an ultra smooth power steering. Now I can rest assured knowing that I do indeed have power steering. Thanx.

Reply to
Arctic Inferno

Yeah, isn't it great?

No. It's standard.

Yes. It's standard

You have it. It's standard.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Stiff" steering - It is one of the MANY excellent reasons to drive a BMW.

Reply to
Kapt_Kaos

I've not driven one but it may have very light steering. BMW is perhaps a bit heavier than some but this is deliberate to give more 'feel' from the road.

It would be very hard work indeed to park a car of that weight and tyre width without power assistance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Arctic Inferno"

And by ultra smooth you must mean ultra light. This kind of overboosted power steering causes one to have little feedback from the car and little feel for the car's handling. You turn the wheel a little, and you can't really tell the car's reaction.

One of the great things about most BMWs is that these cars react immediately to every little steering input. For someone who enjoys driving, this is a good thing. For someone who is not used to such lower levels of power steering, it may take some time getting used to.

Cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete

Or the OP might want to find a 2000 model year US E46 3 series. Apparently in response to the "steering's too heavy" critics of the '99 model, BMW then overboosted the steering assist. After some real criticism from BMW aficionados, they went back in 2001 or '02 to the fine balanced steering I have on my '99.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.