94 YJ with standard steering

Just test drove a 94 YJ, only has 90,000 KM on it, about 45,000 miles, anyway it was a bitch to steer, so I asked the guy if it was power steering, he said no. Geez, was that an option you had to pay extra for in 94? I'm 42 years old and that's probably only the second or third vehicle I've ever driven without power steering.

Reply to
Greg

attnews

Did you ask him just where the drive train came from or what frame and drivetrain they stuck a YJ body on??

As far as I know all YJ's came with power steering.

You should look under the hood and see if the pump is there and just disconnected, or if there are hose fittings on the steering box that might have been removed when the PS pump failed and he didn't want to spend the money for a fix.

Manual steering isn't bad, but disconnected power steering or 'armstrong' steering is a bugger. The steering boxes have different gear ratios.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It shouldn't cost too much to get a new power steering unit installed. I'd jump at it; that's some lo miles. Mine had about twice the mileage when I bought it used.

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

I used to have a 94 YJ with manual steering.

Reply to
Michael Roche

Was it factory or did someone change it?

Mike

Michael Roche wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi Mike: I hope you are feeling better -- I read the string on your recent accident.

Beileve it or not, I ordered it from the factory that way! At the time I ordered it, my 78 CJ5 started having tranny problems & I needed a more reliable vehicle for work. My 78 was bare bones (except for the 304!) and it was (and still is) manual steering. I ordered the 94 YJ pretty much the same way -- got the bigger engine, carpet, tier upgrade and thats about it!.

It was a bitch to steer.

I sold it to my wife's friend's son who was heading off to college in 1999. I understand he put a power steering setup from a junk yard in it with good results.

Still have the 78 CJ5 w/ manual steering. Some day I will probably upgrade (probably when my shoulders give out completely!!)

Mike Roche

Reply to
Michael Roche

Hanging in there, thanks.

That is a good one to know, I didn't think standard steering came as an option on the YJ's.

That helps when trying to ID something for someone.

My old tenant had an 85 CJ7 'Laredo' automatic and it came with standard brakes and steering which seemed really strange for the 'loaded' Laredo package. Maybe it was ordered that way and not 2 Jeeps put together then?

Mike

Michael Roche wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain