325 radio - no balance control?

There's a control for front/rear speakers but how do you adjust the left/right balance. The passenger side is quite a bit louder than the drivers. It's a 1988 with a factory cassette player/radio. Thank you.

Reply to
cosmo

No idea what radio is fitted but on many you pull out and turn the volume control for balance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On many you push in / pull out the volume knob to adjust the balance / fade (front to back).

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Cosmo bought a car with lots of issues. Or...?...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

He's a troll.

I suspect he is young and inexperienced and has bought a rather tatty twenty year old car expecting everything to work like the day it was new.

I remember driving a brand new BMW320i with

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I see no evidence of that. I think he may just be naive. I don't think you know what a troll is.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Well I sure don't know much about BMW's. I've never seen a radio without a balance control since stereo came in some 40 years ago. The dedicated factory radio manual makes no mention of it and none of the controls address L/R balance so I thought the smartest people I know, those high thinkers of the alt.autos.bmw internet newsgroup might know what the secret BMW radio handshake is. Glad you all got a chuckle and happy motoring,..

Reply to
cosmo

Well, I've owned lots of old cars, mostly MGs. At 144k miles I think this one has less issues than most of them, although I wish it didn't knock when you first start it. In fact after replacing the $135 wheel bearing it drives smoother than most of the brand new cars I've been in. It must have been glorious when it was new. Replacing the dashboard battery fixed some of the spurious warning lights, the oil change reminder and the goofy gas mileage guesser. If anyone knows where the wiper wash relay (assuming there is one) is located I'd appreciate you telling me. That would be helpful as it rains and snows and people blast slush on your windshield all day here. So far I think I did ok for $1500 usd.

On the factory cassette/radio of the day, pushing starts the Signal Scan function, posts SC on the display and scans for medium to strong stations pausing seven seconds for each one. Pulling the volume knob removes it. I'm proud and grateful to finally be able to contribute a published fact.

Reply to
cosmo

For asking where the balance control might be?

Jeez, some of you people are idiots. Step back and take a look at yourselves.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Did you try my suggestion?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No for asking why the AC is not cold, the washers don't work and probably about the suspension spec' using a paranym.

In this case the radio is probably a replacement.

About every month or so the group gets a series of posts from someone who has made an ill advised purchase of an elderly and / or ill maintained BMW. They ask why there are coloured lights on the dash, error messages, misfires, scuffed tyres, electrical glitches etc.

Another source of frequent amusement are those who seek to enhance their BMW by fitting non standard ESU chips, diffs, exhausts, wheels etc*. and then wonder why it no longer works properly.

  • in a recent case all of these and then some!
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Hey, I've done that several times, and for some reason I keep going back and doing it again, over and over.

The REPLACE ENGINE light is on. Is this bad?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey