Miata Radio

We have a 1990 Miata that was purchased new. The car has been an absolute dream to own. It only has 80,000 miles on it and is only driven by my Wife who treats it like one of the children. The car is always garaged and has NEVER given us any problems....just routine maintenance. Anyway, for some reason, there is a faint green blank display that stays on the radio screen after the ignition has been shut off and the key removed. It just started doing this for no apparent reason....no battery jumping or removal etc.....in fact, it may have been doing it for some time before my Wife noticed it. All of the functions of the radio (It is the original factory AM/FM with cassette) work fine. We had been ignoring it (my mistake) until we went on vacation for five days and returned to a dead battery. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? I am semi-mechanical so, my plan is to pull the radio out but, I really don't know if this green light can be eliminated. I have tried the switch that turns the display on or off while the car is running but, it has no effect....the blank green lighted display still remains on after the ignition is turned off. For now, I have pulled the fuse to disconnect the radio....not to worry, I have the anti-theft code. Any help in solving this dilema would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, J. Hanley P.S. I have no problem purchasing an after market deck with a CD player and trashing the original unit but, I'm not certain if the headrest speakers will function properly with another deck??????

Reply to
jhanley

snipped-for-privacy@candjjewelry.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Look here:

and see if they have a fix.

No problem, get a Mazda radio and all will be fine. I have the Tribute

6 CD changer in mine as is mentioned on Miata.net. I got the radio on Ebay and followed the directions to install it.

If you're in love with the original, I have my old AM/FM Cassette radio in perfect working condition which can be had for cheap but I don't know what shipping might cost. I'm in Phoenix, Arizona.

Reply to
XS11E

Installing an aftermarket stereo in a miata, the early ones at least, can be tricky. Make sure to research it first. Stereos are probably my worst area of knowledge on the car, but I have seen a 1991 miata with an aftermarket CD player that was connected to the headrest speakers.

If you stick with the original, I would either buy the one from XS11E or send your own stereo off for the Jeff Anderson overhaul.

BTW, has anyone checked out the new format at miata.net? Hmmmm...

Pat

Reply to
pws

Can't agree with you there, Pat. I replaced the stock unit in my 1990 with both an am/fm/cassette deck and an aftermarket cd changer with no problems at all. The only difference is that I no longer have a "fade" button to adjust front to back, as it were - from the door speakers to the headrest speakers.

Nope, not yet. I'll check and get back to you.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Well, I did say that stereos are my weakest link. ;-)

I don't know what it is, I can do some fairly advanced auto work, but if I want my stereo to sound good, I am going to have one of my audiophile friends or a custom shop, (or you!), install it for me. Just not my area, I guess.

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:rfpdh.21516$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

I followed the forums, the instructions are very easy to follow if you're installing a later model Mazda radio. I got a brand new Tribute

6 CD changer with cassette from Ebay for a reasonable price and got the necessary wiring harnesses from the same place. I had to add a couple of pins but the diagrams on Miata net showed me exactly what to do. If I hadn't wanted the dial light to dim with the dash lights I would have had to do no modifications.

Of course the headrest speakers work perfectly as they are wired to the rear speaker outputs on the radio. The only thing lacking is the instructions from the owner's manual and I had some problems figuring out how to work the critter but it's fairly intuitive.

Reply to
XS11E

"XS11E" wrote

Actually, get just about any radio and all will be fine. I installed a Sanyo radio/CD/cassette in our '90 and two years later installed the MAX-5 headrest speakers. They plugged right in. Fader works the balance between front and headrest.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

"Ken Lyons" wrote in news:A3qdh.2144$5D1.1367@trnddc06:

I guess it depends on what you want. Only a Mazda radio LOOKED like a factory installation and that was one of my requirements.

Reply to
XS11E

Well, my Sony stereo looks like crap, skips on every bump bigger than a penny, and now the volume knob switches between working normally to not working at all to sometimes working in reverse, depending on how long I mess with it. It's getting a bit bothersome.

I guess maybe it is time for a new one.....Wanna help me install it? :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:ffqdh.21805$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Sure, gotta get my tools........ chainsaw, check. Sledge hammer, check. Acetylene torch, check. OK, I'm ready! Oh, wait, gotta get the keg, can't work on a car w/o the keg..... tell me you don't want Lone Star please? ;-)

If you really want to see what works check out this:

7802&highlight=Tribute+Radio The thread goes on for a very long time and links to other threads in the forum. No problem, go through the whole thing and then hit ebay or your local Mazda folks. These radios don't skip (so far), hook up easily and look factory. Note, there are two, an early one and a later one, the early one uses the same plug as a NA, the later ones (like I have) require a harness.

Reply to
XS11E

Thanks, this is useful. I will probably go the route that you did.

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:Kprdh.22063$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Damn, after selling you on the project I checked Ebay and didn't find any 6 cd changers right now..... but they'll be back. Just be SURE not to get a Bose unit, they require separate amplifiers for the speakers and have a LOT of quality issues, maybe because of the amplifier locations?

Reply to
XS11E

Retrofitting my '91 with a Sony double-DIN radio/cassette with the changer in the trunk was relatively trivial and was accomplished in an afternoon. I'll admit that I was an electronic technician in the military and for government after that but using the lead set from Crutchfield anyone who is not totally color blind and who can do a bit of splicing should be able to handle it.

Actually I would have gladly given the old radio away to anyone who would pay the shipping but when I traded the '91 in on the '06 I stuffed every bit of accessory material into the trunk and let the dealer have it so it is gone now.

Reply to
John McGaw

The previous owner of my car included many of the original parts in the trunk and passenger wheel well, including the factory alloy wheels plus three factory service manuals, the owner's manual, and a few other aftermarket parts that had been re-upgraded such as the first turbo manifold that he tried.

Even the pristine folding sun visors which had been removed early on were included, those got over $50.00 by themselves. About the only thing I kept was the Enthusiasts Guide.

I collected back a little over $750.00, or about 10% of the price of the car. Not too bad.

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:ffqdh.21805$Gk5.6975 @tornado.texas.rr.com:

If you just have your stereo stolen every 2 to 3 years like I do, then you never have to worry about having an old crappy stereo!

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

I have still never had a car radio stolen. I have also never had a good car radio. Theses two facts may be related.

I wish someone would gently steal this one, that would take part of the labor off of my hands. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:gK0eh.20$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Until the last incident, when they slashed my top to get into my unlocked car, they have been fairly gentle. They have all taken the time to unplug the wiring harness instead of just cutting the wires. None of them have damaged my center console (I thought they did the last time but somehow it was just somewhat out of place & popped back in w/o damage).

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

I assume that your local police solved it each time? ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:e5leh.3023$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Um, are they supposed to do that sort of thing? I thought they were just supposed to write a report for your insurance company... The last time happend at work (I work at a university), so I reported it to the university security & didn't even bother w/ the police. Of course, they were no more help than the police had been previously.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Yeah. I disposed of all my '91's goodies with it and someone got a bargain if the dealer passed them on. Along with the OEM radio was the OEM shop manual, bra, car cover, hardtop, touchup paint, some suspension parts, aftermarket alarm with manuals and extra dongles, and several air and oil filters and even a fresh fuel filter.

Reply to
John McGaw