Radio Qiestion

I have a 1990 420SEL with the original Becker radio. Lately, when the car is cold, I have no driver's side audio for about 10-15 minutes until the car warms up. Rotating the fader does not solve the problem.

Just to get me on the right track, a couple of questions: Is the amplifier part of the dash unit or is it separate? If it's separate, where is it located and what does it look like?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

John

Reply to
John Simpson

You are on the right track... amp is separate from head unit on your car... it should be located on passenger side lower dash I believe.

Reply to
Tiger

Not on a 1990. The 126 body does NOT have a trunk mounted tuner-receiver like a

124 body. The unit in the dash is the one-piece radio. The radio feeds the 2 front speakers. However, he does have TWO audio amps, they feed the rear speakers. But they are mounted to the rear wall behind the back seat. You need to remove the rear seat bottom and then the rear seat back cushion [I hope you don't have the optional power rear seat.......]. Remove the seats the night before. Left is left side. Unbolt the left one. In the morning when the left side is dead, disconnect it. Then disconnect the right amp and plug the right amp wires into the loose left amp. Does the right speaker work now? If no, the left amp is dead. Good luck finding one, no longer available from MB.....
Reply to
Karl

like a 124 body.

they are mounted to the rear

then the rear seat back

Remove the seats the night

is dead, disconnect it.

left amp. Does the right

longer available from

Karl,

Thanks for the response, it made me think again. I just checked the radio, and lo and behold, it's the left front door and dash speakers that are out. Both rear speakers are working fine. Any ideas on this?

John

Reply to
John Simpson

The front speakers are feed directly from the radio. Remove the ashtray insert. Remove the 2 screws holding in the ashtray assembly. Pull out ashtray. Reach under radio to the back end and pull out. You will see 2 silver spring clips start to drop. Lower them with your fingernail. Slide the radio out. On the back, you will see a 5 pin plug in the middle with a single wire and plug that pulled off. Reconnect that to the spade on the bottom edge. Drivers side corner, you will see a 4 pin plug, then a black sheathed blue wire with 2 black wires. and then a white plug and a black plug. The 2 black wires with the blue one feed radio-on power to the rear amps.

The white and black plugs are the front speakers. Are they both in? If yes, turn radio on. No sound from left front but you have sound from right front? White is on the left, correct? Unplug it. Now unplug the black one. The right front speakers go quiet, correct? Now plug the black plug in the white hole. Do the right side front work now? If yes, you have either bad wiring or bad speakers on the left front. If no, the radio chassis lost left side output.

Reply to
Karl

Thanks Karl.

see 2 silver spring clips