525' 94 auto gearbox

Hi all

Im due to drive again next week to E Germany for a few weeks

took car yesterday, failed on 3 niggly things, but done..

While in the put i noticed a leak, aroud engine/gearbox..hard to tell exactly where its coming from. im not losing engine oil....topped up twice in a year. Last time Dec

It seems my car has no didpstick...but my bently manual tells me that it must be a dealer check, to check the temps of fluid to guess the amout in. of course i dont want to get gearbox problems while on my trip

Is there any way around? or has anyone any idea how mcuh a dealer will cost/ thanks for any info, i dont want problems while on my trip. ta!

Reply to
Jules

It is probably oil, not transmission fluid. Try placing something under the car to catch a drip so you can better analyze it. The rubber valve cover gaskets on these engines have a propensity for hardening over time and use and become less effective at sealing. This usually results in a very slow leak that is not detectable on the crankcase dipstick but is evident on the garage floor.

For info on your transmission fluid go here:

Fred W

i can get the car over a pit later when i go for the retest so will take a look. ok no dipstick on mine, only dipstick is the oil and me typing! thanks

Reply to
Jules

It could be condensate from the AC. Put some white paper underneath. The colour of the drips will tell you what it is.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

thanks will do!

Reply to
Jules

Is this the 525i Touring you bought in September?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

yes, just passed the retest....and i dont want to get low on box oil while im out there.

Reply to
Jules