E39 / E60 Clutch sensitivity

I've driven an E39 540i and an E60 545i and noticed that while the clutch throw was fairly lengthy, the actual engagement zone was pretty small, particularly on the E39. Is that just the nature of the beast on these cars or did I bump into a couple funny ones? It's not a deal- killer item, but is there any way to adjust the clutch to give me more room to work with? The E39 in particular seemed to be hypersensitive, with the engagement zone being at a point where the clutch lever was "pushing back" harder than it did earlier in its travel.

What say the FOAK? :)

Rancho Bob

Reply to
BobP

Look in any decent BMW mag' Long bolt with bit of stout rubber (shox mount) on the end is now being sold to shorten the time taken for gear shifts.

Block of wood with Velcro under the clutch pedal would do the same.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

I don't think that would solve what the OP was complaining of. He's saying (paraphrasing) that the point of clutch engagement is high up on the pedal throw, and coincides with the "over-center" point of the pedal spring, which makes it difficult to operate it smoothly.

The engagement point will sort of "self regulate" as the clutch disk wears since it is hydraulically operated clutch. So, I don't think you will be very successful in lowering the engagement point. You may be able to play around with different pedal springs and the mechanism to make it so the "over-center" occurs at a different place in the pedal throw.

Either that or, like most of these type of things, you'll probably get used to it after driving it for a while. Think of the added benefit, you'll be giving your left leg a daily workout... ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

Two things about the clutch

1) It's self-adjusting, not much you can do to change the engagement. You can install a clutch stop that limits the pedal down-travel. 2) The clutch slave cylinder employs a clutch delay valve which prevents rapid engagement of the clutch (BMW says to reduce drivetrain shock). It makes smooth 1-2 shifts difficult to perform. It can be safely removed (or if you're concerned about warrantee issues) replaced with a valve body whose guts have been removed. Whichever method, the improvements are worthwhile. 3) As long as you're at it, you might try a short-shift kit. There are several on the market which (some include a replacement selector rod, some don't) which will replace the somewhat rubbery BMW shift mechanism with one of surgical precision.

R / John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 451 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
John Carrier

Precisely.

Yeah, but then I end up walking like Yosemite Sam, but only with one bowed leg.... :-D

Rancho Bob

Reply to
BobP

"John Carrier" wrote

I had my CDV removed about 3 months ago (e39 530i), and honestly, smooth shifting is still next to impossible on this car, mainly for the reason BobP mentioned - the engagement point just seems extremely small. Either that, or there is something wrong with my clutch (I bought it used with 30K miles).

And it's not that I don't know how to drive stick. I drove sticks all my life, and this is the first car where I can't execute smooth shifts majority of the time.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

That would be fitting for your usenet moniker, eh "Rancho"?

Reply to
Fred W

Heh. Actually got that nick from a golf buddy of mine who liked that I lived in Rancho Cucamonga for quite a few years. Ain't a lot of cows out here to rustle anymore.

Though you can still smell them when wind blows wrong.

Rancho Bob

Reply to
BobP