'88 325 - seat belt won't spool out,..

Anyone know why this might be? I can't pull the driver's seat belt out to put it on. There's absolutely no slack at all, it's just strapped tight against the door post. Is there an electrically operated cam inside that clamps the belt in case of collision or something? Access to this thing isn't obvious either. Thanks as always.

Reply to
cosmo

No, it's a mechanically operated ratchet inside that clamps the belt, with a little counterweight. It's supposed to free up when you pull on the belt, but the lubrication gets gunked up after a while and the ratchet sticls. Clean it and lube it.

Do be aware that in some states there are bizarre and draconian laws about working on safety systems. Your state may require you to replace the whole assembly rather than cleaning and lubing it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks, Scott. I will put my best man on this. I can see me getting stopped for an $80 ticket and saying, "but it doesn't work,..". They'd probably impound the car. In Fla they cut off a hand,.. Tx they warehouse you in a corporatized prison at $67k per annum with no chance of parole. Maybe I'll just get a T-shirt with a seat belt printed across the shoulder instead.

Reply to
cosmo