Sticking seat belt retractor?

OK - 1983 CJ7 - with a bunch of mods not related to this problem ...

Seat belt retractor for the 3 point belts oOFTEN sticks in place - won't epull out of the retractor housing or - if already pulled out - won't retract.

UNTIL I wack the retractor gently (firmly) a couple of times (or more) with a small rubber mallet I carry "just in case" - and then it will pull out or retract as needed.

I suspect a bit of dust (dirt) down inside the mechanism - but don't have the foggiest on how to fix the problem.

And I know better than to try to lube the mechanism - which wouldn't do much more than just attract dust and dirt.

Suggestions? Instruction how to disassemble & clean? And how to reassemble :) !!

Thanks Lynn in Vancouver

Reply to
lynnhowlyn

Well, the CJ belts are a pain because they do lock up tight and will not release on a slope. This can pin you into the seat hard sometimes. I got some clips that go onto the belt and stop the shoulder part from retracting on me when I am wheeling.

My passenger side one is the worst.

There has been talk here in the past about even using a bolt or a small pair of vise grips clamped on to stop the 'shrinking' belt issue.

I use a high pressure air blower and/or a shop vac to try and clean the junk out. I have even used a water pressure washer.

Removing the belt anchor on an 83 would be problematic due to rust but you can try soaking it in penetrating oil for a few days before attempting it.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hey Lynn, Here's what I have always done .

Get some all purpose cleaner, and squirt it into the mechanism, scrub in there with a disposable paint brush and then blow it out with an air hose (or canned air) Repeat a couple of times with clear water, to rinse the soap out, then follow up with a dose of WD-40.

It should clean right up.

Before you start, pull the belt all the way out and tie it up so it stays out. That way you won't get gunk on it and it shouldn't get wet.

In the future, you can just blow the dust and crud out of it with air.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

No, the CJ ones are just plain mechanical with a weight/angle/speed flipper dipper to lock them.

Mike

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Lots of good advice. Many thanks!

I think I'll try to compressed air/shop vacuum approach 1st. I'm a little gunshy about the wet cleaning and such, even with WD-40 as a "chaser" Major concernss that any residual moisture or cleaner will be a major dust & dirt magnet and really get the retractor fouled and inoperative!.

Getting the retractor or anchor unbolted from the tub will be no problem however. When did the 4 year long bare frame up rebuild (a therapy project!), got rid of all the torx fasteners and used anti-seize on virtually everything as I re-assembled it.

With apologies to Bill, while they may have been used at the factory - REAL Jeeps don't need no stenking torx head fasteners!

Reply to
lynnhowlyn

The TJ's use a 1/2" steel ball that shifts with inertia or gravity to lock the belts..when it rolls upward/forward it locks tight.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I haven't had one apart, but the CJ ones could be similar. They also lock with a fast pull out.

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain