88 535i rough ride

Hi, I have a problem with rough ride with my 88 535i. The strange thing is after being up on a hoist the ride is buttery smooth for around 5 to

10 km before hardening up again, so I know my vehicle is capable of doing much better. Any ideas how I might fix it?

I've already replaced a lot of bushings and nothing is loose, and nothing is visually wrong when inspected. I do sometimes get a clunk around the driver's floor when turning a sharp corner like into a driveway. I am told it is a weak left shock but it feels more like the steering box area. I don't want to spend too much as the vehicle has only 3 or 4 more years due to rust.

Reply to
michaelharvey

It's the shocks. The piston inside is not sitting where it should, when up on a hoist and unloaded it falls back down to where it should be and works for a few minutes till it gets compressed and goes back to where it shouldn't be and has too little travel to be of mush use.

New shock time. Any chance you'll buy another car like this when it's dead and can re-use the shocks? I know they're not cheap. Sometimes you can find gently used ones on ebay and there's always

Buying used shocks is kinda nasty but if you can put them on yourself its a cheap way to get something better than what you have now which flat out doesn't work.

Reply to
Richard Sexton