Radial Ride Rough on 71 AMC Matador

Got a set of Primewell Radials, sized 195R-14 for my 71 AMC Matador, and brother, does it ride rough! I took it on a short trip, 35 miles, and a long trip of 500 miles, and it beat the living hell out of me! I could feel every bump, tar strip, hole, etc. I am thinking about ordering a set of regular old 4-ply whitewalls from Coker. I don't think this thing is made for radials, and it sure rides like hell. I have rebuilt the front end, new bushings, shocks all around, new strut rod bushings, new ball joints, etc. It has to be the damned radials!

Reply to
sctvguy1

You're not supposed to put radials on older cars that were not designed for them, but I think that's mostly for handling concerns. I can't think of any reason it would ride rougher just because they're radials. How much air is in them? And are they maybe just total crap tires? How much did they cost?

Reply to
Bill Vanek

I was running 30lbs. in them, then reduced them to the factory 26, since it is only me running to the store and the doctor. I bought them from Tires Plus. Primewell is made in China. Should have read more reviews on them! I think that yes, they are total crap. They were like less than $100 apiece, with mounting, balancing, and everything else. Just plain blackwall.

Reply to
sctvguy1

If they're still that harsh with 26 psi, I'd take a trip back to the store, and ask them what they think.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

If I put 4 ply G78s on them, got them balanced right, aligned correctly, would the ride smooth out?

Reply to
sctvguy1

I don't know. Did you put the new tires on at the same time you did all the front end work? If so, it might not be the tires at all, and it's actually less likely it's the tires. Did it ever ride right after the front end work?

And balance and alignment won't have any effect on a harsh ride.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Before I did the front end work, it had 4 ply tires, and rode pretty good. I had all the work done, and the bias tires were shot. Only radials were available, and I had the Primewells put on. Big mistake, the damn car began riding like a buckboard. I am looking at putting some Coker G78s whitewall on this car and restoring the ride back to "boulevard"!

Reply to
sctvguy1

But did you drive it at all after the front end work, with the bias ply tires still on it? If you didn't, or if the ride was harsh even with those tires, there might be a problem with the work that was done, or the parts that were installed. It's easy to screw that stuff up. And is the harshness now in the front end only, or do you feel the same thing in the back?

Reply to
Bill Vanek

New shocks - sure that the correct ones were put on? In general, shocks will have more effect on ride quality than tires of differing sidewall stiffness (assuming the same sidewall height and aspect ratio)?

Other potential culprit as Bill Vanek suggests is excessive stiction due to improper re-assembly of the front suspension.

Eliminate these two before spending money on different tires.

Reply to
T0m $herman

All parts were stock parts, put on my a very good performance guy, who even put back on the quiet factory mufflers, taking off the glasspacks. Moog suspension parts were used. Factory springs, nylon bushings instead of rubber, etc. Nothing crazy, just stock stuff.

Reply to
sctvguy1

The nylon bushings instead of rubber could be the problem. There's a reason they used rubber originally instead of something hard like nylon. I had a couple nearly new 71 AMC Matador's with the handling package back in the day (state vehicles assigned to my group) and it always felt like the front end had something out of whack. It always had something of a shake going on. Turned it into the shop many times, had a couple different sets of tires on it, they could never fix it. It never got worse and never got better.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That - the nylon - could be the problem right there. It would be even worse if they tightened the control arms while the suspension was hanging off of a frame rack, instead of doing it on a drive up type of rack. If they did, you not only have nylon instead of rubber, but now

*all* of the control arm bushings are loaded during normal driving.
Reply to
Bill Vanek

Nylon bushings sure don't sound like regular stock parts but what the heck do I know about a 70s AMC?

Reply to
dsi1

Nylon bushings are the problem. They don't absorb any of the motion of the suspension the way the rubber ones do. That is one of the reasons they are used, no deflection means better handling through the stiffer suspension action.

One of the warnings on nylon/urethane bushings actually tells you that the ride will suffer.

Going to a radial from a bias ply tire will only soften the ride, unless the tires are made of a really stiff compound.

Reply to
Steve W.

He did it on a drive up rack. He is a very thorough mechanic who restores old cars and also adds performance parts to muscle cars.

Reply to
sctvguy1

sctvguy1 wrote in news:l9v389$3go$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

glasspacks.

yep the nylon bushings can make it very harsh, why did you put them on instead of stock rubber??? they are a performance and handeling upgrade. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Well, I guess from all the replies,it is the bushings. Dan is used to doing performance cars/upgrades, so he probably got the best bushings he could get, performance wise, and "upgraded" the suspension for handling and not ride comfort. Even though this car is not a "Mark Donohue" flying brick, it does handle great, it just rides like a buckboard. I am going to sell it and get something that rides more smoothly.

Reply to
sctvguy1

I agree that the nylon bushings are apt to be a lot of the issue, but by the same token I bet they improve the steering feel as well. And the tires may not be blameless either, it is probably a combination of factors.

The Matador... and other AMC cars of that era... are not exactly known for gentle rides and tight handling. You are probably getting closer to the original handling qualities of the vehicle.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

God help me if that is so! This thing rides like a Mack truck. I remember driving a 75/76 Matador at an AMC dealer, and it rode a lot smoother. I think that having the "Go" package on this car has a lot to do with it. I also think that the radials are making it ride hard as a cob. The steering feel is just as numb as the "full-time" power steering of all the old Chrysler products. I have to keep my eye on the road constantly or this thing wanders off, I can't even feel the tires on the road.

Reply to
sctvguy1

That's the price you pay for driving this old car. You're pretty much stuck with the ride. Your new suspension is doing what it's supposed to do. Adding bias ply tires will probably cause your dentures to fly out of your mouth like bats out of a cave in the evening. I suspect that your vintage is too old for a car of this vintage.

Reply to
dsi1