'90 E34 leaking in water

Last summer I bought a '90 E34 on an internet auction. My plan is (was?) to keep the studded snow tires I got with it and then sell the car in the spring. However, it's been parked outside the whole time and it's taking in water somewhere. Today I opened the door to get a closer look, first time since the summer, and it absolutely *reeks* of mold. It's everywhere, steering wheel, seats, seat belts, ceiling, and so on. Anyway, there's not much I can do about that now, except find where the water is coming from. I suspect it's behind the dash somewhere, but it's difficult to tell. The body is in reasonable good condition, the upper part of it anyway, so I doubt it's a rust hole or anything like that.

Any ideas on where I should start to look?

Thanks,

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Leaking windscreen is always an idea, as are blocked sunroof drains.

I'd also check the spare wheel well and sill drain holes are free.

Reply to
John Burns

Reply to
greg1120

Anywhere where there is a hole in the steel. ;-)

Front and rear window seals can go. My E34 had the front screen glued in place, and if the paint starts to fail so does the seal.

Door seals. And also the membrane inside the door - water will find its way into the doors so you have to prevent that getting into the car.

Sunroof - blocked drains.

Boot - taillights.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think it's the windshield seal that's leaking. It looked dry and brittle so I put a layer of duct tape over it. Now I need to buy a heater to get the car dry and see if that helped. If not, well, then I have a few more places to check... :-)

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf