95 325i overheat then oil leak

I have a 95 325i that has over heated. The top radiator hose gets hot but not the bottom hose. I was going to try to fix it myself because I thoght it could either be one of two things, the thermostate, or the water pump. then I noticed that there was oil leaking that had not been there before the overheat. One other thing. The check coolant light came on a few times, but when I checked the level it was always full. Does anyone no what the problem is. The oil really worries me Thanks PT

Reply to
pt

You may have an air lock in your cooling system - has it been bled properly? If not it will cause a major overheating problem which can cause oil leaks in the bottom end. Does the car still run?

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

Normal operation. Top hose is heated water coming out of the enging. Bottom hose is water that has been cooled down in the radiator and is being returned to the engine.

Reply to
Rex B

Not really - the water is cooled somewhat - but it isn't cool to the touch. At best it's 10F cooler than the incoming water.

Reply to
admin

overheat. it stayed at half. then all of a sudden it would heat up rapidly

Reply to
pt

it seams to run fine< and I took it around the block once and it didn't overheat. it stayed at half. then all of a sudden it would heat up rapidly

Reply to
pt