ABS,ASC faults on BMW 523 se , help??!!

Hi there

I have a bmw 523se and its been running fine for a good few years , its a 1997 model. I recently jumped into the car and started it up. I noticed on the ABS light and the ASC light was on, but the car was sounding ok, so I just drove it away, then while the car was moving I noticed the speedo wasnt working and it wasnt adding up the miles.

I drove it about without any other issues, but yesterday I heard a small beeping noise coming from the drivers side, where the battery is kept in the back of the car, it was a run of small beeps, about 10 , then silence, for about 5- 10 mins the it repeated the beeps.

I thought it was the ABS relay, but since my speedo isnt working I think its the speed control sensor. (how many sensors is there anyway??)

Can anyone advise, confirm or give me more info on the problem I have?

And if its the speed sensors, where are they located and are they easy to replace???

Any help would be greatful Many thanks

John

Reply to
johnboy245

Some sensor isn't working, probably the propshaft one, but it could be a wheel.

If you have satnav it goes bonkers too.

In my case it was a mobile phone I had left in the glove compartment...

Typically one per wheel for ABS and one on or about the prop shaft for the speedo.

ABS sensors are in the hubs and usually involve removing the wheel, disk and hub. Check the wiring first, especially a connector block in the wheel arch, which could have dirt ingress (e.g. after power washing).

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Hi again,

Just an update on my problems with the ABS, ASC and the speedo not working. I have been driving the car for the last couple of months with the problem , using my satnav to tell me what speed I am doing. But the fault comes and goes. One day I drove it most of the day with the ABS, ASC and the speedo not working , jumped into a shop for some supplies and started the car again and the warning lights went out , drove it all do with no problems. Next day, it was back to the same issue.

Well today, I decided I would look at all the possible areas where the fault could be caused , cabling, plactic box in wheel arches, etc . I found a loose (hanging wire) on the passenger side front wheel hub, it looked like a sensor. it was a white coloured wire with a black plastic thing on the end, I couldnt find where it was ment to fit into , but it looked broken.

After a bit of checked, I found out that its the brake wear sensor. Never had any issues with this sensor before, but surely if it wasnt in the correct position and it was just hanging there in the wind, it would come up on the dash as a fault?, anyway, I tried it back for now and ordered a new sensor for this, but when I switch on the car now I get three lights appearing the usual 2 lights (abs and asc) and now the brake wear sensor.

The question is , could this white cable be the brake wear sensor or a speed sensor??

If this wire was not connected properly in the first place, why didnt it show up on the dash before now ?

If i replace this wire and sensor , will it solve my first issue regarding the abs and asc faults ?

I know I am rambling on here and too many questions but someone out there has the answers

Look forward to any help

Thanks again

John

"johnboy245" wrote: > Hi there > > I have a bmw 523se and its been running fine for a good few > years , its a 1997 model. I recently jumped into the car and > started it up. I noticed on the ABS light and the ASC light > was on, but the car was sounding ok, so I just drove it away, > then while the car was moving I noticed the speedo wasnt > working and it wasnt adding up the miles. > > I drove it about without any other issues, but yesterday I > heard a small beeping noise coming from the drivers side, > where the battery is kept in the back of the car, it was a run > of small beeps, about 10 , then silence, for about 5- 10 mins > the it repeated the beeps. > > I thought it was the ABS relay, but since my speedo isnt > working I think its the speed control sensor. (how many > sensors is there anyway??) > > Can anyone advise, confirm or give me more info on the problem > I have? > > And if its the speed sensors, where are they located and are > they easy to replace??? > > Any help would be greatful > Many thanks > > John

Reply to
johnboy245