94 850 ABS faults, FIXED!

To illustrate one advantage an older Volvo has over newer ones: My 94 850 Turbo wagon (200K plus) turned on the ABS fault light on Monday. After I parked it for a while and restarted, the light went out, but came back on in the first hard turn I took..

At home, I opened the hood and plugged the test connector wire into A3 and pressed the button. The following faults displayed:

2-1-3 Left rear wheel sensor 2-1-4 Right rear wheel sensor 1-4-1 Pedal sensor 1-4-2 Brake light switch 1-4-4 High brake temperature..

Obviously, all these things didn't go bad at once, so the issue must be related to the controller or it's power source. I reseated the controller's main connector a few times, then pulled each ABS-related fuse to inspect and reseat. That was two days ago, and the fault light has not come back on.

If I had a 96 or later, I wouldn't have been able to read the codes, and I would not have access to the definitions of the codes. The dealer would have read them for me ($60.00), and then, probably replaced the ABS controller for several hundred dollars more.

Sorry, Volvo, but I'll keep my 94 for another 100K, since it lets me maintain it.

Doug Warner