axle stands

Hi.

Just bought a pair of axle stands for BMW e39 to adjust handbrake, I just want to make sure where you'd put the stands (car rear).

Can someone plz confirm?

Thanks

Reply to
MP

How are you lifting the car? If using a trolley jack I put the axle stand under the pad for the car jack.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi Dave

I've only got the jack which came with the car, so that'd use the pad to lift but was unsure of where to place the axle stands.

Reply to
MP

Use a short length of strong smooth timber next to the jacking point, and the axle stand under that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Um, I am interested in the answer to the original question as well!

The manuals I've seen - HBOL and ETK/TIS - for my recently acquired E39 (recent switch from Merc - impressed so far!) specify placing axle stands under the jacking points as Dave has said. They also state using these points as the only suitable trolley jacking points. Now, with the Merc I could jack up anywhere along the sill, the rear diff or the front suspension. I guess the diff is still OK on the E39 but am less sure about using any suspension components since, I believe they are aluminium. I guess for rear end lift the tow bar would also be OK. Where else is considered OK, please ? Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian