'03 Cobra -- where to jack?

I want to get my '03 Cobra up on four jack stands so that I can rotate the tires. I plan to put the stands beneath the four rail indentations intended for the stock jack (per the manual).

What I'm not sure about is where to place the floor jack. I would assume that it's safe to jack each rear tire underneath the arm in which each rear spring rests into. But what about the front?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Bob '03 Cobra coupe

Reply to
Bob

If you've got Adobe Reader here is a link to the shop manual page that outlines the Mustang jacking points:

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible Some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan Talso

Thanks much, Dan.

I'm apprehensive about using the half-shafts as a jack point. Won't the universal joints be supporting a lot of weight when doing this? It doesn't seem like they could hold the (1/4) weight of the car (in a shearing motion vs. a twisting motion).

It seems like, on our beloved Cobra's, the strongest jack point would be under the rear "A" arm (if that's what it's called). The weight of the rear is through this arm, and then through the spring, right? I wonder why they don't show this as a preferred jack point?

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Bob '03 Cobra coupe

Bob

No, no, no. Half-shafts bad :). Yeah, I know the bottom diagram appears to show the half-shafts but it doesn't really. Unfortunately the shop manual provides a single diagram for every platform. The points indicated are for the solid axle rear end on the V6 and GT. On the Cobra those are not good places to lift for the reasons you've stated :).

The rear A-arms are a reasonable lifting point. I don't know why the manual doesn't point them out, especially when it shows the front A-arms. I have looked at a stick axle car in a while but it's possible that axle tube or spindle location makes that point difficult. The Cobra doesn't have that problem but they haven't updated the diagram yet.

You can use spare jack points as you've indicated, but I wouldn't lift the car very high on them with a floor jack. The body panel tab can't take the direct load for too long. There is a handy little adapter that you can find on the net that replaces the lifting plate on most floor jacks with a slotted tube. The body panel tab slips inside the tube so that the lifting force is applied to the chassis and not to the tab.

[snip]

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible Some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan Talso

Walt

Or better, where to get a shop manual for a good price ? Since yesterday I am in need of a shop manual for an 03 cobra ! woohoo. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Those guys are the official publisher for Ford. You can all the manuals and wiring diagrams and even reprints of owner's manuals. They come in hard copy or digitial (CD). I've got the shop manual, pc/ed, and wiring diagrams on disk and it's just too damn handy.

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible Some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan Talso

I just put the fuse/relay block diagrams and tables up there yesterday :). I got asked about them on another forum ;).