Battery replacement 323si

Battery replacement.

I need to replace the battery in a BMW 323si. Every place that I called; Sears, NTB, Pepboys do not have an exact replacement.

Do I need to find a battery the is designated for that car, or can I just match the size and CCA?

Why is that battery so hard to match ? One dealer suggested it was the vent design. Any one know what the battery from the dealer is going to cost ?

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
sid

Pretty well all the recent batteries I've seen have this vent design although you may have to transfer the actual elbow from the old battery.

The battery in UK cars is made by Bosch so you could check Bosch/Varta agents. But I understood US cars had US made batteries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What year car? You can look up the "group" number and get the specs for that group. Often there will be another group that will also work in certain applications. The only difference may be a small difference in the dimensions (usually length) that is inconsequential.

Reply to
Fred W

Year is '99, the battery is in the trunk on the right. Looks like original equipment.

Here are the numbers:

12v 75ah 340A 650CCA BCI Group No. 92 and then some encoded number large and bold "61 21 8 353 651"

Looking from the top, I don't see a vent. Any Idea what they are talking about ?

The label did not have a date of any type.

Thanks

Sid.

Reply to
sid

OK, the info you gave is what you need to know. The "61 21 8 353 651" is the BMW part number.

BCI Group 92 is the key to size and terminal placement. Here is a web page that details all of the various groups:

As you can see, this is a rather unique size and configuration battery. The closes t thing to it would be the group 91, which is more available than the 92.

You could just get the BMW part but it will be more expensive.

Reply to
Fred W

This jogs my memory,

When I called NTB, the salesperson stated that this year and model called for a 94R, but you pointed out this is a 92.

Can you tell me what the 'R' stands for ?

Sid.

Reply to
sid

Is there a Batteries Plus store in your area? They carried the original battery from Douglas, who has now sold out to someone. I 'think', however, the new company still makes the replacement batteries.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Frank,

I called "Batteries Plus", they have two stores very close and they carrie both groups 94 and 92.

Thanks for the info.

Sid.

Reply to
sid

Glad I helped.

Frank

sid wrote:

Reply to
Raybender

Final Solution:

Our mechanic gave us a deal on a batter, $135 installed.

Interstate Group 91, 875 CCA

First 18 Months warranty replacement, Next 85 Months prorated.

Reply to
sid

That's not a bad deal all things considered... but next time look for an independant shop that sells Interstate batteries. The warranty comes from the manufacturer and the price would likely be a touch lower.

Reply to
Fred W

'R' stands for reversed positive and negative posts. Group 94R has the same dimension as group 94, but with reversed post position.

We got an InterState for my niece's 99 323i. But in my opinion, I would switch back to BMW OE the next time. InterState is slightly shorter and lower. One of the cables (don't remember if it's positive or negative but it is the front one, closer to wheel) is stretched and it is not a snug fit. I have to add a thin wood piece so it won't move.

Remember to re-c> This jogs my memory,

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

That sounds amazing. 8 1/2 years warranty even if some pro rata Best I've found in the UK is 4. Seems it's one of the things they can't - or won't - improve the life of.

My replacement Bosch has now lasted longer than the original.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)