Big Guy M3 - M5?

I am looking at getting a 2002-2003 M3 or M5. I am however a bigger guy, 6'2 350lb's or so. Can you give me some advice if for the most part the legroom and the dash space are adequate? I wanted to see here first before I go to the showroom for a test drive and it is awkward for all. Thanks for your time in advance!

Currently I drive a jeep wrangler so that should be a good measure of my current car.....

Moose!

Reply to
Domenic Fontana

6'2 350lb's or so. >Can you give me some advice if for the most part the legroom and the dash space are adequate? >I wanted to see here first before I go to the showroom for a test drive and it is awkward for all.

Though I can't comment on which car would be better, I do find it interesting that there is yet another Jeep owner buying a BMW... there seems to be a lot of folks in here that either do or have owned jeeps... curious. Good luck in you quest.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Warren

Domenic Fontana" wrote

The 5 series is significantly wider than the 3 - you would probably be more comfortable in it. They also have a little more headroom. I have one of the few 3's without a sunroof for that reason - and I'm only 6' even. The main thing you might find most uncomfortable on both those cars is the sport seats - the side bolsters might be too narrow for you.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

"Domenic Fontana" wrote

Oh, yes, Domenic. Please don't post in html - newsgroups are text-only.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

If he replies, I'll bet he top posts in HTML. You'll love it.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Yes, don't get an M. Get a 5 or larger series. The M's difference includes sports seats, sport(stiffer) suspension, and sport rated braking. But hell man, if you got the coin- I'm sure you'll figure something out.

At 6'2 350lbs you will need the 5 series or larger in BMWland. No sport anything. You can modify it later if you want sport suspension and the like. I'm 6'4, and my head is pretty damn close to the ceiling on a 5 series. But, I'm not that wide. So the seat is comfortable. And my suspension is comfortable. And my brakes are comfortable. If you are going to the dealer, I'm sure you'll figure this all out on your own accord.

I got the BMW because of my size as well. Low riding racing bucket seat stiff suspension having wasn't my goal in getting a bimmer. But you have other ideas.

Good luck. Same car, just one ain't gonna be as comfortable.

Reply to
Enoch Root

"Domenic Fontana" haute in die Tasten:

Being tall is not the whole story. There are tall guys like me who have very long legs, others have shorter legs, while the upper part of the body is longer. I have test driven both E39 (five series) and E46 (3 series) and did not find neither of them very roomy. In former times it was possible to get longer seat rails to push back the drivers seat. A good seat maker can even take the seat apart and make it one inch lower or so. You should definitely look after a car without sunroof, because this leaves you more headroom. A smaller sports steering wheel amy also give you more room for your knees.

As a rule of thumb I'd also say: Mercedes offers more space than BMW;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Yep, I'd agree with that. There are some seat customizations that can be done as you said. But it's a pain and by no means standard operating procedure. I wish I could have a car with tons of headroom that didn't look like a bubble or SUV. Germans are pretty big guys. It's kind of odd to have this problem in their flagship cars.

Reply to
Enoch Root

Not as big as the Dutch... ;-)

I have to crick my neck in NL more than in Germany...

Still, the question is valid since Mercs are widespread in The Netherlands. But maybe the guys in GB (second-biggest market in Europe for Mercs) bring the average size down slighly.

DAS The Shortie

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Enoch Root haute in die Tasten:

It is not so much a "german car" thing rather than a BMW thing. In order to get recognition as a "sports car" BMWs always are made slightly "tight", compared to their more luxurious competitors from Mercedes. The definite german flagship car is the Mercedes S Class where you do not have any problems to fit in. The same is valid for Germany's most sold car, the Golf V (AFAIK they plan to market this car under the name "Rabbit" in the US). I have plenty of room in a Golf, it is a pleasure to sit in this car.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

I owned two Jeep Grand Cherokees (not at the same time) and now have two BMW's. One car and one SUV.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Krueger

I'm 6'4" and 220 and have had a 330i for a few years without a problem. The 5 series should be fine for you if my X5 seats are any indication.

Go to the dealer and sit in a few cars. The test drive will come later when you have an idea if it will work for you.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Krueger

I don't think there is a problem. I am 6-4 tall and about #230 and have absolutely no problems in the M3, with sunroof even. The seats not being wide enough has nothing to do with tall people.

Reply to
RT

I've owned 2 Jeep Cherokees, and a Wrangler Sport (6 cylinder). My first Cherokee was a stripper. 4 cylinder, 5 speed, power nothing, no options at all except (curiously) a manually operated moon roof. That was probably my best Jeep. Wish I still had it...

I've also owned an E30 ragtop, an E34 540iA, an E36/7 (Z3) and an E36

325i. Still have only the last one. The rest are all history... Great cars each and every one (in their own unique ways)
Reply to
Fred W

Moose,

Not sure you'll ever come back to read this, but you might want to consider a non-M model. The sport seats tend to have raised bolsters that are not intended for someone of your, erm... magnitude. The comfort seats on the other hand are much flatter and more, well... comfortable.

Check it out yourself at a dealership.

Reply to
Fred W