PLS HLP: E46 M3 competition package!!

Hi,

I have a question about the E46 competition package... it appears to me, that when you have a car with the competition package, you loose the multi-function steering wheel and get the steering wheel with only a single button for the DSC mode. So it seems that you loose the steering wheel radio controls as well as the cruise control.

QUESTION 1) So an E46 M3 with competition package has NO ability to do CRUISE CONTROL??

QUESTION 2) Does the wiring harness to the steering column have the pins for the radio controls and cruise control on a competition package car?? ie... can I buy a standard E46 M multi-function steering wheel and just swap it?

QUESTION 3) If I can swap in the standard E46 M multi-function steering wheel, is the DSC mode button on that steering wheel too? Or would I loose that functionality completely? I know there is a DSC button under the navigation monitor on the button strip, but I was told that is something different then the one on the steering wheel? Whats the diff?

Basically, I'm asking this for this reason: I'm loooking to buy a used E46 M3 (since I can't order it anymore), and the one I found has the competition package on it. I currently drive a 325i which has the radio controls on the steering wheel and I use them ALL the time. I was wondering if I could put the multi-function steering wheel onto a competition package car with minimal effort and what functionality I would loose / gain, etc.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Reply to
Nobody

I've never heard of the competition package, is there really one? My M3 does not have DSC on the wheel. My 740 has the main cruise button on the dash.

Reply to
adder1969

Yes, it was introduced in either 2004 or 2005. It gives you a quicker steering ratio, bigger compound brakes that are cross drilled and 19" CSL style wheels. It also has "competition style" aluminum trim which is aluminum that has the same "diamond pattern" as carbon fiber. The steering wheel and hand brake are wrapped in alcantara.

For some stupid reason, they remove the cruise control and radio controls and give you the M track mode button on the steering wheel as seen here:

Nobody

AFAIK the M3CS "M Track" button doesn't actually switch of DSC completely. Its a softer DSC as found in the CSL so you can play abit more before it reins you in. I very much doubt that the wiring harness would accommodate a multi-function wheel so you're probably stuck.

TBH I don;t think the CS really offers much over the standard M3. Its a sort of half attempt at a CSL. Personally, I'd just stick with a straight M3 and retain the creature comforts or go the whole way and get a CSL.

Reply to
TonyK

Yeah, too be honest, if I *COULD* order one how I wanted, I *MIGHT* have tried to get just the compound brakes and possibly the quicker steering ratio out of the competition package, but I probably would have skipped it completely. Just gone with Xenons, Premium, 19" wheels, Navigation, aluminum trim.

Since the E46 M3 is out of production, I dont have that option unfortunately, so I've been searching for a while for demo cars or cars that snobby rich people drove and turned in after only a few thousand miles in my area. I've found one thats perfectly configured, but with the added competition package.

But now that I've had a night to toss and turn over and think about it... I never use the cruise control now, but I do use the radio controls all the time (the volume). I guess I could just use the knob on the radio for that, to get some M3 goodness, but these cars are hard to find with low mileage...

And for some reason, there is apperently a HUGE supply of morons who think they should put an SMG transmission in an M3. Sorry, but this is a bad ass sports car, it deserves a manual :).

I've seen more "perfectly configured" ones that had SMG though. So I passed on those.

Reply to
Nobody

accommodate

Don't dismiss SMG completely. I had one for two years and although it took about 3 months to really get to grips with it I'd have another.

But, then there's the reality of resale etc. If you can't sell an SMG in your local market its not going to be a sensible buy. And quite frankly, SMG or manual an M3 is a hell of a car!

I just traded mine against an X5... I'm now looking for either an E60 M5 or possibly an E46 M3 CSL to bridge the gap to an E92 M3.

Reply to
TonyK

The problem I have with SMG is its unknown reliability. IF SMG transmission ends up *lasting* as long as a BMW auto tranny, then be prepared to fork out major $$$$ to replace at about 100K-125K. Not good for those of us who like to keep cars for 10+ years.

Reply to
bfd

The problem I have with SMG is its unknown reliability. IF SMG transmission ends up *lasting* as long as a BMW auto tranny, then be prepared to fork out major $$$$ to replace at about 100K-125K. Not good for those of us who like to keep cars for 10+ years.

Reply to
bfd

This 'moron' is looking for one with the SMG. Your post was interesting until you made a fool out of yourself with this part. Just because you don't want it doesn't make it wrong.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

I thought about just waiting for the E92 M3, but from the spyshots I've seen, BMW has completely ruined this new generation lineup. INSIDE AND OUT... The outside of the new M3 (and the coupe) is a bit harsh (that harsh line running down the side), but livable with... the inside in hideous on so many levels:

1) they went from a 4 guage cluster to a 2 guage cluster which makes the car look cheap.. not something you want to feel on a $60k car 2) they moved the nav monitor from where it was to a second hump on the dash... HIDEOUS... 3) they added a rear center console... gee thanks, now I can't fit 3 people back there anymore.

Personally, I think the E46 lineup (3 series coupe, 3 series sedan, M3) were awesome looking inside and out. The E46 M3 is WITHOUT A DOUBT the most beautiful car on the road I think in the < $100k category.

Reply to
Nobody

Hehe... sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Like I said, if you are looking for an SMG model and/or convertible, they are ALL over the place. I could have bought my perfect car 10 times over if I wanted SMG and/or a convertible.

Reply to
Nobody

Are the compound brakes the same as was fitted to all euro cars? If so then you just swap yours out for euro rotors. I guess the steering rack would be do-able too but would cost $$$$.

Look, almost anything is possible so I'm sure if you really wanted you could wire up a wheel for the radio controls and even retrofit cruise control if you really wanted.

Reply to
adder1969

I'm not sure if they are the euro brakes, but they are enlarged from 12.8" to 13.6" and cross drilled. Supposedly this is the same brake system that was used on the CSL.

The steering ratio goes from 15.4:1 to 14.5:1.

For my type of driving neither will really be that big of a deal, I just think cross drilled rotors and compound brakes give the already agressive look an even more agressive look ;). But not worth $4000 for the package though.

Reply to
Nobody

Euro brakes are drilled compound brakes but yes the CSLs are bigger. I guess you could swap them over for maybe $1200.

Reply to
adder1969