Bimmer auto trans. still bummers?

A while back someone posted about the 2000 323i auto transmission being junk. Apparently this is well known.

There was some debate about the 2003-2005 series E46 auto trannies.

Are they also junk? Or are they OK (as in will they last 200K+ miles if they have the fluid changed every 50K or so).

He was under the impression that bimmers were really "bummers". The regulars here became quite infuriated at this comment of his.

Anyway, does anyone know? Are bimmer trannies still bummers?

Reply to
kpb

you again??? sigh.

Reply to
Choam Nomsky

"kpb" wrote

It is also well known by now that you're a douchebag that has nothing better to do but slam bmw. It's OK, we get it. You will obviously never buy a bmw. Give it a rest. We don't care. No one here claims that bmw is the most reliable car in the world, and if you're looking for such car, bmw is not for you.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

[snip]

"Someone." That's hilarious. epbrown

Reply to
E Brown

Yes, "someone".

Not me, as I have no experience with 323s at all.

I was wondering if any new information came about since its been months since I've been here.

I haven't heard anything about the 325i or 330i which I am STILL considering.

So I might very well buy a BMW. Although I am off put by the defensiveness of some of the posters here.

And the paranoid-ness.

I had posted questions here for a few weeks before some guy wrote about the "bmw is a bummer" and gave as a reason his failed transmission. If my trannie failed so soon, I would be pissed too.

I asked him a couple questions and questions to the group about the trannie issue. Some some brilliant poster here (you?, it probably was a worm like you) stated that we (the 'bummer' poster and me) must be the same person since we were both interested in trannie issues. Nice logic! I had never mentioned the issue of its 'bummer' trannies until he gave his history with them.

Anyway, I guess there is nothing new. I am still interested in a BMW. The ones owned by my friends haven't failed yet. Althoug they are still in the warranty period.

You have to wonder about a make with owners so paranoid about its reliability and posters asking questions about such.

Reply to
kpb

In case you haven't caught on... we find YOU to be an ass... so get lost- with or without your bummer.

[...]

Put a search on Ebay for the transmission in question. See what they fetch secondhand. If the prices are sky high you'll have your answer. In the UK there's little demand for secondhand ZF autos so they just fetch what you'd expect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All automatic transmissions are junk. Why would someone spend all the money for a performance car and then put an automatic transmission in it? Learn to shift and you'll be a lot happier.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Well, the ZF 4HP22 in my 89 325i has failed once in the 4 years I have had it (mind you it's OLD) but the one I took out of it had been previously remanufactured. Don't know what the previous owners might have done to it or how well they took care of it but my guess would be it was neglected like most trannies are. Not too many people actually change the fluid, most forget to check it. I beat the hell out of it and wasn't surprised when the torque converter gave out. The rest of the tranny was fine (it was checked out before I put it back in). I know that GM had a problem with some of thier trannies and these might be the ones that found their way to the BMW line. Those problems were repairable and the repair replaced the weak parts...

Reply to
Michael Yeager

I would concur with that conclusion that it takes about three automatic transmissions to last as long as one manual.

Definiitely not the choice of people who intend to keep their cars for the duration.

Reply to
Jack

The mans dead right - Although with the amount of driving I do, a manual is out of the question.

Normal road car automatics of any kind are inherently a pissweak design by nature and cannot handle the continued and relentless abuse a decent manual box can.

Autos and semi autos built specifically for race cars are another story all together.

Reply to
TPr

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 08:48:11 -0800 (PST), kpb wrote:

We're not so much paranoid as impatient with your stupidity. *You* seem to be the paranoid one. I mean, why post this again? Do you think there's secretly a huge group of people with failed automatics who only speak of them when you're not around and you hope to catch them out? There's been no epidemic of failed autos since your last foray here, no significant influx of new E46 owners, no change in the status. Instead, why not check somewhere else? Anywhere else? EVERYWHERE else? The one thing people on the net like to do is complain, so even the most cursory research should turn up reams of information if this were a real issue. Or have the Gamma people initiated a cover-up? Second, perhaps your methodology of checking ONE place over and over again is typical since - according to you - you were all set to buy an E46 3-series when you read ONE post from ONE - ahem, "other" - PERSON saying that his transmission failed after blah years and unsubstantiated maintenance driven who-knows-how poorly and you decided that ONE instance was enough to write off the entire model run and forestall your purchase. The answer now is the same as before: if you're worried about the devastating possibility that the auto trans *might* fail, DON'T BUY ONE. You don't like this group? DON'T POST HERE. But you might want to avoid walking as well. I saw someone last week walking on crutches, turns out he'd broken his leg! I had no idea legs were prone to these sort of failures, I find the situation

*completely* unacceptable, and I'm currently researching the manufacturer or designer of legs to discuss this shoddy workmanship. My own legs have given me no trouble so far (indeed, I've completed several marathons with them) but the idea that they're breakable has really put me off the entire product line. I've read that in Scandinavia they're working on replacement parts made from rather nice wooden blocks. You appear to be using their "head" replacement unit - how did you find the service? epbrown
Reply to
E Brown

Some BMW's sold in the US for some reason have inferior and unreliable US boxes.

Driving around town - I don't think so.

Being very tall I drive 7 series.

I had two manuals in the 1980's* and they were great, however manuals were hardly made after 1988 (a few in the 735iL) and seemingly not at all since ~1994, although you can still get them in 6 series.

The three more recent ones have had respectively

4 speed auto 5 speed switchable 5 speed steptronic

The last is comparable with a manual, although I still drive it in auto, but it is clever and for instance holds gear for a bit after overtaking or similar. Even if I didn't have to drive a lot in traffic, I doubt I would go back to manual, and as thee next one I get will probably be a diesel, the

6 speed steptronic is almost essential.

  • before that I had two manual Rover 3500SD1's and a Triumph 2.5TC with overdrive, so I liked a manual box. OTOH the choice between the five speed manual (with overdriven 5th) and [crap] three speed GM auto in the 3500SD1 was a no brainer!
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

See, I find the Steptronic very annoying. I _cannot_ get a smooth start off the line with the Steptronic or SMG no matter how carefully I do it. In some ways it feels like it has the worst of both worlds.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Then you have a fault. No problem with mine.

There were teething problems with early ZF six speeds - look up.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

No, I have driven a bunch of the newer ones. I really wanted to like it... it seems like a great trade-off, adding electronic complexity to reduce mechanical complexity. But it just doesn't feel right to me.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Ummm... not. They are made by GM - but GM in France, not the US and they aren't a US design. And GM is noted for one thing - knowing how to make automatic transmissions..

Reply to
admin

You're confusing two different things.

SMG is a manual transmission that is controlled by hydraulics that are controlled by electronics. The base transmission used in SMG I, II and III is a standard BMW manual transmission. They use the same clutch as the manual transmission. All that's different is a machine is moving things around instead of you (and there are automatic modes - which don't work really well..)

Steptronic is simply advanced electronic control of a standard automatic transmission - complete with torque converters and multiple clutches. It's a nice automatic.

BIG difference. Steptronic should be no harsher than any automatic on takeoff. SMG - takes learning to drive smoothly - you still have to modulate the throttle to make shifts and clutch engagements smooth.

BMW is introducing a dual-clutch SMG in the new E92/M3 - to catch up with Audi and everyone else. This will not require the finesse that the current SMG incarnation does to drive smoothly since it will be a purpose built system - meant to be an automatic manual transmission.

Reply to
admin

Paging Dave Plowman, paging Dave Plowman. Dave Plowman to the white courtesy phone, please...

Reply to
Dean Dark

How many clutches will that manual transmission have had and how many hydraulic failures? And will the synchro on that manual still be perfect?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)