BMW 528e Heater/Air condition fan problem

I have a 1988 BMW 528e that has a fan that only works when the air conditioner is engaged (bummer in the New England winter). It does not work when trying to use the heater or outside air. Do I have a bad switch or could it be something else?

Reply to
RickHully

That's how it is supposed to work. The fan that is inside the car (below the heater controls) is ONLY used for the AC. The heater fan is located under the hood up against the firewall just below the windshield. It sounds like the outside fan isn't working. Could be the fan motor or could be the speed control resistor assembly. You need to do some voltage reading to figure out what is wrong.

Two functions - two fans. BMW wasn't really quite up on a fully integrated system with the E28..

Reply to
Don

Get a Bentley before you do anything..

I've got the same problem with an 82 528e..

I actually think BMW did the right thing not integrating HVAC.. if one goes down, they don't both go down..

Quick check.. does the fan work at ANY setting? you can usually rule out the resistor pack if the fan is working only at the highest setting.

You may have eithe a faulty switch, a bad fan motor, a bad ground, or a loose connection. Hence the excelllent previous suggestion of checking for voltage. If you don't have or know how to use a multimeter, now's a good time to learn, or pony up the 50 bucks for the half hour labor at the shop to run a voltage check.

IF its the fan motor.. I'd suggest hitting Vinesauto.com, Bimmerparts.com, or any one of the wholesalers selling good reconditioned heater fans.. Install is quite simple.

Remove your firewall at front of the hood.. either hex bolts or phillips head screws.. remove the plastic fan shroud by unclipping it at the tabs.. un hook the electrical connector in the middle of the fan, and pull it up as a complete unit. Drop in the replacement and re-attach the firewall, and welcome back to the land of defrosted front windows!

here's to h>> I have a 1988 BMW 528e that has a fan that only works when the air

Reply to
KEITA JOHNSON

The ETM can help more than the Bentley in this case, IMHO.

Get your pdf ETM at

greg.epps

Or just point your browser here (for free):

Malt_Hound

This is often just a bad connection to the motor, try cleaning it.

Reply to
John Burns