BMW 740 Starting Problem

my mechanic has told me of a 740 that is for sale at a very cheap price because the car was flooded with water (under the left hand seat I believe), all the electrics work but the engine ticks over but does not fire up (no spark or no fuel is my guess) the owner wants to sell it because the local agent told him he needs to change most of the wiring loom (they are known for pulling these stunts). however my mechanic thinks that the problem is down to the ECU, if so I can get it repaired for 5$ from a technician that used to be outsourced for these jobs by the agent.... however I don't want to get stuck with a car that will cost a bomb to fix... does anyone have any advice?

Reply to
BMW740

"BMW740" wrote

RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

These are the magic words that make you run away screaming. In some states you can't even re-register a flooded car. It'll never be right. Pass.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Agreed, a flood damamged car will never be reliable again. Avoid.

Reply to
John Burns

LOL, it could cost you a dollar, or 5 thousand! A non-running 740 is enough of a handful before it gets flooded!

Reply to
SharkmanBMW!

I guess it all depends on just how cheap it is. If you can buy at a price which you can sell it on with the same problems then what's to lose?

Reply to
adder1969