BMW E39 weird engine noise

I have a 99 E39 that has this weird noise at the front of the engine. I changed all pulleys. Changed the water pump And still the noise is there. I want to think its is coming from the alternator or power steering pump but I don't want to keep throwing more parts at the problem. I was wondering if anyone had this problem and solved it. There is a clip on youtube title "bmw e39 weird noise" that is exactly the same noise I am having... Please help

Reply to
bigbmwman

With such a vague description and no attempt to locate or isolate the noise it is not surprising you have replaced the wrong bits.

Perhaps a link to the sound or even a .wav file as an attachment?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

hear the noise there

Reply to
bigbmwman

Well, why not post a reply to the fellow who put the video up asking if he found out what it was? Youtube will allow you to do this.

If it were me I'd get a length of fuel hose, put it to my ear, and go hunting around to find the source of the noise before I bought any parts.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Instead of making us go to youtube and search for your problem, why not just give us the link so we get the same file that you are watching? That's the customary way to do this...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You tube - schmu tube - post a link.

Oh by the way another poster's suggestion of searching for the noise with a bit of tube (or even a stethoscope) was something I was going to suggest.

Most likely it is an accessory, so if you take the belts off one at a time you might narrow it down.

Candidates may include

water pump oil pump alternator AC fan (if it has thermal slip) power steering pump (checked the fluid lately? - it will make a din if it runs out) internal engine noise (e.g. camshaft bearings)

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton