buying discontinued wheels

I'm thinking about buying a set of used M contours for my

325ci....after thinking about it, I thought about the fact that if I end up bending or cracking a wheel, I'll be out of luck getting a replacement without searching endlessly on ebay or posting a WTB ad here and other BMW forums....and since this wheel is not prodced anymore regularly(correct me if I'm wrong), it will be a seller's market(i.e. higher price to replace one wheel or end up buying a whole set for too much $$$)

same can be said for aftermarket wheels that are or will be discontinued...

any other pros and cons for buying a discontinued wheel set? I really like the contours but replacing one will be a pain unless i buy a set plus one or two extra....

Reply to
sportrider90

How often do people bend or crack wheels?

Reply to
bfd

depends.....I use my car as a daily driver over some chewed up roads in the DC metro area....using ultra high performance tires, I can see where there might be a much more increased risk of bending or cracking a wheel....are the OEM contours a strong wheel that the risk of bending a wheel is really low?

Reply to
sportrider90

I would buy the BMW M-Coutours instead of ANY aftermarket, and then stay away from the shit that scratches the rims. It really is not very difficult, I've been driving for nearly 40 years and the only scratched rim I've ever owned is one that I got off of eBay. It's vastly better than the rim it replaced, but only because it is a better size and style, so the minor curb rash is not an issue.

The point is, you should plan on not damaging a rim, then deal with the consequences later if that actually happens. You'll never have anything nice if your outlook on life is the difficulty you might face in the future to replace something you've screwed up.

Personally, I like the Double Spokes better ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yabbut, you live in the land of ultra wide boulevards and (relatively) smooth roads. Driving the same car in any of the old eastern cities where the roads were once cart paths is a whole 'nother thing. I tend to stick with higher profile tires on my cars that I intend to drive in and around Boston. Low profile, high performance tires and wheels will not stand up to the abuse of just driving down the road in these cities, even if you don't bang into curbs.

The roads in my home state (New Hampshire) are *far* superior and I have no problem with 17" wheels and 45 profile tires here. I just don't take that car into Beantown.

Reply to
Fred W

i bet mine after 1 day due to a deep pot hole

Reply to
Jules

wrote

Just buy 5 of them (keep one as a spare). That's what I did when I was getting a set of wheels from TireRack that were being discontinued.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"bfd" wrote

Depends on the road quality and on the size of the rim/tire. We're talking about large rims on low profile tires here - they're relatively easy to damage.

Pete

Reply to
Pete