Jetta: 1999 GL TDI versus 2000 GLS (buying)

I'm trying to decide between a 1999 Jetta GL TDI and a 2000 Jetta GLS. Both cars are close to the same price (slightly under $8k).

2000 GLS: pros: 1 owner, very clean, ~60k miles cons: needs large scrape in paint job repaired and less fuel efficient (scrape repair estimate included in price)

1999 GL TDI: pros: looks clean, awesomely fuel efficient, low-end torque cons: 3 owners, ~80k miles

Which would you go for? In the past, I've had an 86 GLI and an 83 Jetta Turbo-Diesel (automatic unfortunately but it only cost $200). I would love to have the TDI but the higher milage is an annoyance. I will drive approximately 40k miles over the next 2 years so the fuel efficiency of the TDI is very attractive. Both run through CarFax without issue. After running the numbers, it looks like I would save about $600 over the next two years by buying the TDI. I haven't factored in differences in maintenance costs.

Reply to
Cymen Vig

Hands down the TDI and not the 2-point-slow (I assume the GLS was a 2.0?). Get it checked by a mechanic though first (3 owners in a short time frame is a little odd) but if it checks out OK, I'd go for the TDI.

Reply to
Matt B.

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Some people realize they don't like driving a diesel, and others realize the Jetta is a pretty small car (rear seat wise)... so that could explain the ownership by multiple people.

But yes, 3 owners in 6 years is a little high I suppose.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Well, as a TDI owner (and someone who drove the 2.0 before he opted for the diesel), I'd go for the TDI. Three owners in six years is a bit suspicious, but if the car passes CarFax and a decent inspection by a mechanic who knows diesels, then you're probably OK. It's much more fun to drive than the standard gas-engined Jetta.

The mileage difference is negligible, though on a TDI with that mileage, you'd be smart to either find documentation of a recent timing belt change or get one done right away because 40,000 miles was the interval back then. You _don't_ want to wait until the belt brakes.

Good luck!

sd

Reply to
sd

Cymen Vig wrote in news:Xns9607F10117518cymenvigrawio@130.133.1.4:

Thanks for the responses. I found a 99 GLS with 51k for a great price so I went with it. Nearly $1k less than the TDI and it doesn't need the TDI belt/water pump/etc maintenance in 1,000 miles. I want a TDI but it will have to be the next one.

Reply to
Cymen Vig

Which one has the best maintenance history and inspection report from a knowledgeable mechanic of your choice?

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee