Changing features in a 2002 BMW 330xi without going to the dealer.

Can anyone inform me as to how to proceed with changing features such as "Daytime Running Lights" and 2 level door unlock( driver's door first THEN the rest of the doors). Ideally, I would like to use some shareware with a PC and whatever else is required such as an appropiate cable set. I'm new to this. Thanks. Andre

Reply to
Andre

Ideally - we'd all love to have shareware to do it. But that is not to be.

Your choices are - see the dealer, or find someone with an AutoLogic diagnostics tester (the one made in the UK) - which is a $15,000 box with the BMW modules. Some - but few - independent garages have bought a GT1 BMW diagnostics machine - but that won't be free either since that cost them $15,000.

Free would be nice.. but not gonna happen.

Reply to
admin

Thank you for your reply. However, surely someone has looked at doing something about this ! What can you do about resetting the dash service and other warning lights ? Andre

Reply to
Andre

I'm sure someone has looked at doing this - and I gave you the source. Thing is - it's not trivial to do the programming, and people do actually want to make a living. Probably the same in your field - you'd like to be paid for what you do right?

Do a google on resetting the dash service lights - it's done on your car via the two buttons on the instrument cluster. No tools are needed.

Reply to
admin

RossTech, the makers of VAG-COM diagnostic software for VW/Audi products, are supposed to be working on Bim-COM for late-model BMW and Mini, but I haven't heard anything about it in months. The VAG-COM product is supposed to be quite nice and I'd expect Bim-COM to be of similarly high quality. Hopefully the lack of fanfare means they're hard at work.

Reply to
Biker Geek

That's encouraging - but I've heard this for over a year now and nothing has appeared. Go see

- look at ProScan. It does have BMW specific error code reading capabilities - only one at that price point I know of. I think it will be a while before any of them try doing the module programming that the very expensive tools can do. Lots to go wrong changing module settings. Lots.

Reply to
admin

dealer, wait until you have the car in for service and they will add the time to your bill, Instead of paying a full hour minimum charge for a 15 minute procedure.

Reply to
Sharkman BMW

yeah, I don't see the state of things with respect to the RossTech product as very encouraging.

It'll be interesting if the Right to Repair Act passes as this is the very kind of thing that act aims to, uh, fix. Independent garages are tired of having ot refer their customers to the dealer for simple repairs because cars now use proprietary hardware interfaces for which a non-dealer mechanic cannot obtain the equipment.

Reply to
Biker Geek