Code request?

Hi. I just replaced the battery in My X5 and when I try to start the engine, it asks for a code. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Segun

The vehicle (hopefully) came with a little card with the radio code on it. Check your glove box.

Reply to
Michael J. Astrauskas

When MY car is asking for the CODE, it wants the code that tells the radio that it hasn't been stolen, and is now living in a strange dashboard. Your Owner's Manual package should contain a manual for the radio, that manual contains the CODE key.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If not take it to a radio expert and get the code changed.............

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

It's a lot easier to go to the dealership and have them look it up ...

-- C.R. Krieger (Wondering why BMW didn't finish higher in Oz.)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

I should mention that if the wrong CODE is input several times (I'm not sure of the count, but I've heard that three attempts is all that are allowed), then the car must be set with the Ignition left at ON for an extended period to reset the Attempt Counter.

I had a weak battery, and the wife and kids attempted many times to input the CODE, and eventually the car would not accept any input at all -- even the right one. I found that if I left the ignition set to ON (RUN, but not START -- obviously) for about an hour, I could then plug in the correct CODE, and get the radio back.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's the pattern: three strikes (incorrect inputs) and you're out. To get another chance, the radio must be *powered* for an hour. Obviously, you can drive the car during this time, but the power must be on *continuously* for at least an hour. Then, you get 3 chances to screw up again. ;^)

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

Ummm... C.R.. we're talking 21st Century BMWs - this is the code to disable the car starting, not the radio. The radio codes are so 20th Century (no modern BMW uses them..)

Reply to
admin

Well, my 20th century E34 had a feature in the OBC that allowed a user to enter a code that would prevent starting the car. The problem is, it was user selectable. I never used the feature so I don't know what happens if you get locked out.

Reply to
Fred W

I guess you're right - so why am *I* the only one talking about radio codes here getting my butt chewed out?

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

I did write up a chewing out for the other ones, but somehow it didn't post. I'll try to be more diligent on that in the future (equal-time-chewing sort of thing.)

Reply to
admin

Thank you. ;^)

-- C=2ER. Krieger (Does *your* radio work?)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

My cars have that too. If I set the code in that location, I'd be embaraced to ask you guys what it was, and shocked if you knew.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's 1-2-3-4. of course.

Reply to