Dodgy BMW Professional Audio. What are my options?

Hi,

I have an E36 BMW 330i . The in car audio is the original BMW Pro - augmented with a Dension IceLink Ipod connector.

I think the head is on its way out. It will often fail to see the Dension, then when I connected back the CD changer to troubleshoot it fails to see that as well ("NO DISCS" on the display).

Anyway.

What are my options?

I'm thinking.

1) Buy a total new independent system but then I lose the steering wheel controls don't I? (and that's somehow important surprisingly).

2) Straight swap with another head of the same model.

3) Upgrade whole system to a newer BMW audio system (with hopefully better options).

Any others?

if 3) does this have to be done at a BMW dealership?? I got quoted £184 just to have my current system *looked at*??? I'm not wanting for cash but that's ridiculous, and I shudder to think what they'd charge for a system replacement.

MTIA.

Reply to
SteveL

That's E46.

Reply to
SteveL

Just a guess here, but have you considered that the iPod link is giving you trouble -- that is, the physical connection of the iPod where it is spliced in?

Who installed the iPod? That's where I'd start. BMW is going to take the stand that their stuff worked until the iPod was installed, so they are going to charge for any repairs that result. Of course, the guy that installed the iPod screwed it up the first time, will he get it right the second time?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I don't think so no. It is no longer even installed. The ipod link worked for 18 months until suddenly one day I was cruising along the M56 and it slipped back to the radio. Pressing the mode button then gave "no discs".

I then removed the icelink completely and the CD changer behaves exacly the same way. It might work (ish) for a short time but then it will suddenly slip back to the radio and say "no discs" when I try to switch back.

I'm expecting to be charged for the work.

As I said the ipod connector worked for 18 months, and now both it and the cd changer fail in identical ways.

Reply to
SteveL

Think about DICE iPod integration. Explore at

at :
installed the Dice IpodIntegration Kit in my E39 and love it. This recommendation assumes your BMW radiois fine except for trouble talking to your Denison IceLink.Support at Dice was very good! Talk to them.

Reply to
mark barron

Since BMW audio systems are not highly regarded a secondhand head unit from Ebay might be the economical choice. It's quite easy to change.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. I was misinformed by someone who told me I had to have a BMW sound system for the steering wheel controls to carry on working, and I naively believed them.

I now have a quite nice Kenwood system in place.

Thanks for the response.

Reply to
SteveL

The problem was with the head unit itself, not with the Dension stuff.

I've bought a Kenwood system and that has a link the ipod built in, among other good stuff.

Thanks for the response.

Reply to
SteveL

I am glad you are happy with the Kenwood. I have heard good things about Kenwood. Dice iPod Integration kit also supports steering wheel buttons. Happy motoring!

Reply to
mark barron

Yeah so does the kenwood (you have to buy an optional cable). I would have thought long and hard if I hadn't been able to use the steering wheel buttons.

Reply to
SteveL