iPod/new Subarus

I am thinking of getting a WRX, but notice that they don't come with cassette players anymore. Has anyone figured out how to listen to yor iPod ? Transmitters like iTrip don't work well in cities, where there are lots of radio stations.

Thanks,

Guy

Reply to
Guy Pfeffermann

I use a Monster RF link from the iPod to the radio's FM band and have set up a frequency that is not used in most city areas. The Monster RF link comes with up to 3 programmable frequencies to dodge the congestion. There is one problem however, and that is if you use the accessory power socket to drive the iPod to conserve battery power, you have to re-start the iPod if you switch off the engine. I believe this can be overcome by bypassing the accessory relay, however I have not done so as yet.

Cheers,

Roger.

Thanks,

Guy

Reply to
Roger

See:

Customers seem to have very different experiences, some excellent, most terrible. Anything better on the market ?

Guy

Reply to
Guy Pfeffermann

I don't have one, but I discovered it when I was looking for an iPod solution for my Outback. I ended up getting an Alpine unit with iPod Full Speed (which is awesome, btw).

I think there are other solutions besides carplayer. If you do a little research you can probably find something that doesn't require FM.

Reply to
thomashanno

I also have the monster RF adapter. Actually, I have one in my Baja, and one in my wife's Altima. Everyone says these are the best fm transmitters available, but I have yet to see what is so great about them. Roger's must work a lot better than either of mine. I actually had to return the one in my wife's car three times because it would tranmit static every time you touched the wire. At 80 bucks a pop I have slightly higher expectations from these things. Oh yeah, it also transmits a ground loop noise in my Baja. This noise is very subtle, but it's there. And another thing, you have to crank the volume in order to achieve "normal" sound levels, which then increases the static.

BTW, I've had these transmitters for a couple of months, and played with them a bunch. I'm not just some guy who barely picked one up, can't figure it out, and wants to bitch to anyone that will listen.

I know that I'm ranting, and I'm almost sorry. I'm not saying these things are total crap, I'm just saying that they didn't even come close to my expectations, which I don't think were unreasonably high, given the high prices of iPod accessories. $80 isn't too far off from the cost of a new, aftermarket stereo these days, one with iPod abilities.

Plink Plink, there's my two cents.

Jason

What is the Alpine unit ? a replacement for the radio/CD that the car comes with, or an addition ? And roughly how much ?

Thanks,

Guy

Reply to
Guy Pfeffermann

I bought a $200 Alpine head unit (replacement stereo) for my Subaru and installed it myself without any trouble. I also bough a $20 cable that you plug into the back for the iPod connection.

You could do something much less expensive though. You could buy a cheap head unit with an auxiliary in port for about $100 and just use a regular audio cable to connect your iPod and stereo. I just preferred the ability to manage playlists right on my stereo's face.

I used crutchfield.com for all of my information. It's slightly more expensive but the customer service and installation info was more than worth it.

Reply to
thomashanno

Many car stereo manufacturers are making iPod compatible stereos, meaning that they plug into the port on the bottom of the iPod, not just a wire from the headphone jack to an auxilliary 3/8 jack on the front of the car stereo. Although there's nothing wrong with that. The iPod compatible units allow you to control the iPod from the head unit, while keeping the iPod charged, and while vastly improving the sound quality, over the FM Transmitters, cue to the fact that they are hard wired. It really is a beautiful thing.

I have a class with a guy that does regional sales for Pioneer/Premier car audio, and their iPod connector works retroactively with stereos going back a few years. For whatever that's worth.

Also, I've only heard rave reviews about the Alpine head unit...that's probably the direction I'll go. I hate to lose the 6 disc changer, plus 1 in my Baja, but it's of no use to me anymore, and damn Subaru for not making their systems a little more open to accessories (remember the first generation Legacy had an Aux input jack on the front of the stereo).

anyhow.