e 36 93 325i coil question question

Does a coil go bad when it gets hot. Runs fine for awhile then starts to miss. After about 8 miles. What cause coils to go bad is it the heat. I checked the ohms, they all read .04 or .05. Think my wires could be at fault. Thanks RAN

Reply to
RAN & SAN

There was a recall on the coil back then.

Reply to
Ayoayo

The coils get hair line cracks in them and then arc to ground. Pull off the cover and start the car in the dark and notice the blue light show around all the coils. All the ones on my 92 325i were like this when I bought it, even though they ohm tested fine, the car missed a lot. Replaced and it was fine.

Reply to
Todd Zuercher

Did you replace all 6 of them Todd? Just curious...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Yes, I did replace all six. Even though one of them had been replaced about a year before I bought the car and wasn't bad. The other five were still original and arcing alot.

Reply to
Todd Zuercher