E30 exhaust system recommendations

Hi all, I installed an aftermarket exhaust system on my `91 318is about 3 years back, and the fit was awful. Within about 2 years, the weld at the back end of the resonator cracked. Can anyone reccomend a better source? Would a dealership sell something better, or is it all from the same mfr?

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
tbrown

Keith Kratochvil

I can recommend BMW genuine parts. I got a rear section about 4 years ago for my E30 325 sport. It was stamped BMW and made by Eberspacher. I had a job to lift it off the floor. Expensive but built to last!

David

Reply to
David Haggas

I second your comments David: I replaced the 12 year old rear box & tailpipe in my '93 E30 with the recomended BMW parts: stamped BMW, made by Eberspacher. its solid, fits *perfectly*, looks well and I'm led to believe that it flows as well as the best.

keith

Reply to
keith

excuse me for offtopic, but did you say 1993 E30? didn't they stop making of it in the 1992? i mean, switched to e36?

Reply to
filip

I've seen several 1993 E30 325ic, but no fixed heads.

Reply to
Neil

The convertible was the only one that was carried beyond 1991.

The Eberspacher is a good peice -- utterly perfect fit, reasonable exhaust note, very reasonable price. I had one problem with mine though -- if your exhaust straps rust, they will cause rust on the outer skin of the muffler, and if you move them, you'll make holes where the straps were. So I recommend new hanger straps if you're swapping mufflers.

For now I cheated and wrapped aluminum around the muffler, used exhaust cement on the seams, and put new straps (which I happened to have collecting dust) on it. My old ones were so bad that one actually broke and was dragging on the ground, the other broke while I was tending the first one.

The rubber donuts are a *pain* to deal with, but it is possible to change out the straps and donuts even with the muffler installed.

-Russ.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

you mean, they still have 170hp instead of 192?

Reply to
filip

You mean does the 1993 E30 325ic have the engine from the E36? I suspect not.

Reply to
Neil

No I'm pretty certain it's still M20 not the M50.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

here's my '93

bmw.png

I beleive they still sold the "Touring" till mid '94. there's a lovely '94 touring living round the corner from here.

keith

The link is bad Keith. Can you check?

Reply to
Neil

Try this:

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Thanks Russ.

Nice car Keith. There's just something about the E30.... Of course it's all opinion, but the E21 didn't have it, and the E36 certainly didn't have it.

Reply to
Neil

i'm asking, because i'm confused with the term "fixed heads" what does that mean?

Reply to
filip

yes, sweet ride keith...looks very maintained...got any more pics?

Reply to
filip

Sorry, fixed head just means not a convertible.

Reply to
Neil

My guess is the poster was trying to say "hard tops" as in sedans. The E30 (with M20 engines) continued on from 1992 through 1994 in the form of a cabrio, while the sedans and coupes (fixed heads?) became E36's (with the M50 motor) in '92.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Indeed, as I subsequently said in a follow-up. Fixed-head Coupe (FHC), or Drop-head Coupe (DHC) are quite commonly used to refer to classic cars such as Jaguar, TVR, Aston Martin, etc. In fact, if you Google the words 'fixed head' the top result refers to a Jaguar.

Reply to
Neil

thanks for clearing that out :) i never heard that expression. i only heard - drop top, convertible, cabrio, hard-top, soft-top and...i think that's it.

Reply to
filip