Replacement exhaust system '88 P/U

I'm the original owner of a 1988 pickup, 22R, short bed, manual trans, around 173K miles. After 18 years, the original exhaust is starting to look a bit rusty, especially since I live near the ocean. I called Carson Toyota for an approximate quote, and they said about $2,500 plus installation for everything from the exhaust manifold back to the end of the tailpipe. This seems awfully expen$ive.

Any recommendations for replacing an original '88 exhaust in the LA / Ventura area? What product - OEM or aftermarket - and installer? I plan to keep this truck until it completely dies, which I don't see happening any time soon.

Reply to
geoffwalsh

Hello! As i've said in the past - Dealer = NO. I'd definately go with a free flow cat back system. I've had a Borla system on mine for at least a dozen years. There are better out there and mine is getting replaced with the restoration project lined up for it. Call the local independent shops if you can't do it yourself. While it's in the shop i'd have a new cat put in and have them check the downpipe. My pickup is an 86 and the downpipe is still in good shape. I'd also let it breath by replacing the paper air filter with something like a K&N washable. Gas ain't cheap anymore. Bill

Reply to
William Brown

I second what William said, but a Borla system you can install yourself if you have a floor jack, jack stands, and basic wrenches and sockets. For about a 10th of the price the dealer wants. I installed one for my 93'

4Runner about 10 years ago and no sign of rust, because it's all stainless steel. I got mine from Performance Parts. If you go to their show room/warehouse in Northridge, they will drop ship it for free. You can also order a free flow CAT from them for about $75. But any Juan or Pedro's muffler shop should be able to set you up for a 10th of the price the dealer wants.

BTW check you Timing Chain, if you have not already done so.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I have the same truck as yours, bought new in '88. A couple of years ago, I took it to Midas and had the cat and everything else replaced. It was around $400. If you have the original Cat, you can bet it needs to be replaced to bring down the HC for your next smog test...

Reply to
TOM

I like to use the services of the local Mom & Pop muffler shop for this kind of stuff.

I'm not sure that I'd replace the exhaust just because it looks rusted, I'm inclined to wait for holes to develop. Having said that, this is a good time to look into a system that will increase air flow because incerasing flow is perhaps the single most important thing you can do to your motor to improve economy and performance. It is difficult to justify replacing the system solely to make economy gains, but since you are in the mood to replace the system anyway, it is easy to justify going from a 1.75 inch system to a 2.25 inch system. The larger system will improve air flow, and the cost-up for the larger parts is insignificant when compared to the standard parts. (I don't know that you have a 1.75 inch system now, I only used that size to illustrate that larger is better. Mom & Pop will be able to give you lots of help here.)

I bought a larger exhaust systemfrom Mom & Pop in my town for my Jeep to include the CAT, muffler, and custom bent pipe for $300 installed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

All I can tell you is that I just replaced from the cat back on my 90 toyota V6 for 165 canadian dollars from the dealer. I installed it myself. your price seems very high for the extra 2 peices. The cat itself is big money. I have "punched" out my cat, and run it straight through

Reply to
<delmar.mestdagh

In years past, I might have "modified" the cat, but we have to have a smog inspection every two years. Without the cat, my pickup would fail and be listed as a gross poluter. Can't afford for that to happen...

Reply to
TOM

For a '90 4Rnr 22RE I bought a BOSAL exhaust (CAT back) from Olympus/Olympic auto parts. It has a lifetime warranty from them. I'm on the 3rd FREE replacement one (seems ever 4 years). This is running on unpaved country WV roads. It costs me $5 for new gasket and some time. Original system (its one piece so no leaks and easy to install) was about $150. On my yota pickup I installed a Waqlker system - only the muffler is warranteed for life. The OEM yota cat back should be under $250 and is lifetime warranteed if installed by Toyota. Unless the Cat is bad or the header pipe cracked I would not bother to replace them.

Reply to
Wolfgang

NAPA carries after-market stock exhaust pipes for your truck. I bought them for my '86.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Whoa. Bigger is NOT better. Going bigger will kill your bottom end power. Stick with the stock size, or if you want power moved away from bottom end to top end, go up one size. If your old muffler and/or cat is clogged, then just new stuff will greatly improve the power.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I wouldn'r bother replacing the cat unless it is rusted or not working. If treated well they last. I just smogged my 92 V6 4x4 with 230,000 on it. It passed with flying colors (three days later my O2 sensor quit, though).

In california, it pays to stick with something near the stock setup if you want to get it smogged. This should only cost a few hundred dollars not $2500. The deaer is probably sticking you for many hours at $140/hrs. Also do not replace the manifold just because it is rusty on the outside. These are heavy duty and will last a long time. Only replace it if they it is rusted through. The dealer is charging you a few hundred in parts and labor for that.

You can do all of the work yourself because most of these are simply bolt on replacements. You might need an impact wrench to get the rusted nuts/bolts loose, but you can rent one of those.

Reply to
crashq

Reply to
geoffwalsh