E34 Randomly Blinking Check Engine Light

I've started to have an interesting problem with my 1992 E34. I was driving home from the mountains and the check engine light would start to blink randomly and incessently. I would slow down and the light would go out. I got the 1261 code from the computer. I swapped the relay with another and the car is running a little better than before. Before the idle was slowly dropping and before this happened it was idling at 650. Now Its idling at 750. But its still pulling the code from the computer and the light is off. Anybody have any pointers on how to fix this problem?

Reply to
alex.doerstling

The flashing CE light usually indicates a misfire. A fuel problem resulting from the bad fuel pump relay that you replaced may have been causing it. As long as the light doesn't come back on, you'll be fine. The computer stores the codes so it may take several run cycles to get it to fall out.

Kyle.

98 740iL 01 525i
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

Or you can clear the codes via the "stomp test" and see if they reoccur.

Fred W

You need to find out what the code means, BUT my limited experience with my Ford Bronco was that a sensor was failing. I bought a new sensor that sends the code, and my troubles were gone. In my case, I needed an O2 sensor. The O2 Sensor lives in what is perhaps the hottest place in the universe, except for the sun itself -- it lives in the exhaust manifold before the CAT.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
alex.doerstling