E39 Xenon Upgrade from Non-Xenon

Group,

I just completed putting in later style Xenon's in my '98 528 that had non-Xenon's. It was not that hard. I recommend it. Just make sure you use all BWM parts.

All lights work, but I have an unused plug in the lights - it is for the leveling. Do I need to use that, because my lights now seem to need leveling / aiming.

Also, the dashboard is complaining about both front lights being out, but the indicator goes off when I turn the headlights on. I know the new ballast's don't have the same voltage the idiot light is looking for, so is there a solution for this?

Thanks,

Ray '98 528

Reply to
Ray Paganini

Your '98 doesn't have the rest of the circuitry needed for self-leveling. It involves a sensor on the rear suspension, probably a brain somewhere and the wiring...

It's not "voltage" that is different - it's current. The E39 sends a small electrical pulse through the lights even when they are off - the pulse is small enough that it doesn't light up the lights, but it does test for continuity. If it doesn't see some current drawn - it concludes the bulb has a break in it. Once the circuit is turned on - your HID ballast draws enough current so the computer knows there is a current draw.

Your HID ballast doesn't have the same characteristics as a light bulb.

What to do? Your dealer - if they are savvy - can reprogram your light-control-module to know that you have HID lights installed. That eliminates the error message. Alternatively - someone might be able to come up with a resistor pack that goes across the low beam circuit, emulating a light-bulb. Problem is - when the lights are on - that resistor pack is going to emit heat, heat equal to that produced by the light bulb, so there has to be some way to cool it.

See your dealer and hope the mechanic who uses the computer is fairly savvy.

Reply to
Don

So, you recommend an upgrade that was not hard, that doesn't function properly,( leveling) and isn't coded for your car( MIL warning).

Thanks a lot. Can I give you something for that?

Maybe you wanna search

archives, and figure out how to do it right.

Reply to
spare-me-spam