Fog Lamps

Hello all, I was wondering if there is a way to make the fog lights come on with the high beams? I have read threads on the mustang sites but they all
seem to be way over complicated. Does anyone know how to make this happen? Thanks Brian
sorry it's a 2006 GT

Brian wrote:

It can be done, but the switches can easily burn out if you do not run a separate power supply for the lights.
--
"Wow, I want a billion Dollars and a pet monkey!" - Dale Jarrett

"Paul's vocabulary is rather large, but
Brian wrote:

The purpose of fog lights is to provide light down low, under the usual (headlight) height of fog. They should be used when headlights are off. It's because if you run headlights, especially high beams in fog, they tend to blind the driver due to light reflecting back from the fog. Using fog lights together with high beams is ass-backwards, you negate the benefits of fog lights by using high beams to still blind you.
Running fog lights when there is NO fog, creates a bright spot on the road right infront of the driver, sometimes effectively drawing attention from where you SHOULD be looking at - further down the road. It also can blind you a little, your eyes adjust to the bright spot and you don't see what is going on immediately outside of it (pedestrians, animals, etc just outside of the beam) - your night vision suffers!
Personally, I have found fog lights to be the most useless kind of lights imaginable on a car. The number of times I have really needed them are very very limited.
In certain regions, it is illegal to have fog lights on unless there is fog present. You get fined. That probably stems from the habit many people have of aiming them too high to supplement their weak headlights under normal driving conditions, and that's when they blind the oncoming traffic... :)
Now, if you just wanted them on for the cool factor, you can achieve that with a separate power source and a switch on the dashboard or center console, or you can install a relay that draws signal power (very weak) off of some power source that suits your need. The high beam indicator light would work well if you ONLY wanted them to come on with your high beams. Or steal the signal from the high beam bulb wire itself. Still, be warned that this might actually hurt your vision in the dark because of the bright spot right in front of the car that makes your eyes adjust for bright instead of dark.
jan

The "Fog Lights" as Ford still calls them are not positioned correctly on the 2005-on Mustang to function properly as fog lights. The various models from 1979 to 2004 which included fog lamps were all placed very low below the front bumper.
The new car's placement in the grille between the headlights seems to mimic the early '70s Mach 1 "Sport Lamps".
rd
PS - I really hate rude, inconsiderate oncoming drivers who don't dim their brights/foglights/landing-lights. Is it just my area of the country where jerks think it's cool to try and blind people at night ?

Even though the fog lights on my 2006 GT are in the grill above the bumper, they still shine down sharply, and are wide angled, like traditional fog lights. They don't have to be mounted low on the front of the car to be effective.
Larry

That is why most cars today don't even use "fog lights" any more, they use "driving lights" IE; Mustang GT, these are basically a second headlight bulb, not a fog light.
If you want to drop just over $100 on a solution, to run all your lights, lowbeam, highbeam and driving lights at the same time, same as flash to pass, but don't want to burn out your light switch or wiring, look into a Bright Box light box.

My Name Is Nobody wrote:

ISTR that it is illegal to have more than 4 (2x2) lights on concurrently, on the front of a car. So, high-beams + low-beams + fogs is a no-no.
I looked in the current MA driver's manual, but it has been dumbed down a lot, and a lot of info has been removed.
--
Cheers, Bob

Since they are, on most cars both in the same bulb (high and low beams), it would kind of make defining let alone proving a law like that difficult at best...

Brite Box Manufacturer
Baker Auto Accessories 1250 So, Lincoln Ave. Steamboat Springs, CO 80488 (970) 879-4200
http://www.genosgarage.com/searchprods.asp http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/Brite_Box.htm

Why would you want to do this? Fog lights are for use in Fog, not to impress people with how super cool you are. See http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id10.html .
Ed White
Ed White wrote:

And if todays cars actually had "fog lights" that would be true, but using Daniels Sterns term to describe todays substitute for fog lights the sick jokes that are used are good for nothing more than looks anyway.
--
"Wow, I want a billion Dollars and a pet monkey!" - Dale Jarrett

"Paul's vocabulary is rather large, but

That's no excuse for usign them to irritate others.
Ed
Ed White wrote:

If a set of pissy dim lights pointed down to illuminate the road between the bumper and the bottom of the low beam irritates you, you have bigger issues...
--
"Wow, I want a billion Dollars and a pet monkey!" - Dale Jarrett

"Paul's vocabulary is rather large, but
WindsorFox wrote:

Point was, people often point them too high because they find out they don't help much at all if aimed properly for fog. So they aim them higher. They end up with crappy 'helper' low beams that blind oncoming traffic.
Jan

The point is they are totally worthless when used on clear nights, especially inside a city. They are just an unnecessary distraction. While the low mounted ones aren't too bad, the ones mounted up higher, especially in SUVs and pickups are high enough that they are aimed directly in the rear window of many smaller vehicles.
There is absolutely no valid reason for using "Fog Lights" on a clear night when in traffic. Using "Fog Lights" in heavy traffic on lighted city streets identifies the vehicle driver as an inconsiderate jerk.
Ed

Or a head case.