Get a new 330i or extend a lease?

My lease is coming to an end in March and I have been contemplating on extending it and waiting for 2007 330i's to come out. My thought process on this is the assumption that the 2007's will have the 2006 model's kinks resolved.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Reply to
Shant M

Since you asked for opinions... I'd buy out the car you have now, assuming you can get a good deal and you have been concientious with your maintenance.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

WHAT KINK'S ? I have one, and the only thing that's a bit frustrating is the nav center. takes more time than necessary to change from CD to radio or to cancel destination.

Reply to
TJB

That idea certainly has been kicked around. It is in excellent condition ... if the price is right, it might be a strong possibility.

Reply to
Shant M

I've had my 325i since August, have put 5,000 miles on her without a glitch. Couldn't be happier. I have heard some complaints about the I-drive and Navigation systems, but I don't have that problem. There were also a couple of minor issues on hesitation and a lurching issue while stopped on pre September models, but the new ones have that ironed out and there is a software fix for the others. Cars been out for awhile now and so far it looks to be doing pretty well for a first year car. Has a four year unlimited warranty too, so there's that peace of mine as well. I say go for it, the new 90 is the best 3 ever made IMO.

Reply to
Jack Dotson

The warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles, not quite unlimited.

Kyle.

98 740iL 01 525i
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

Further, it does NOT have a spare tire! I won't buy a car without one! Yes, BMW does provide roadside assistance for the first 4 years/50K miles, but what if you're in the middle of nowhere and get a flat. Can you spell "hotel"....dumb move by a formerly smart company

Reply to
bfd

... because it has "run flat" tyres which are safer (no loss of control in a blow out) and it allows you to continue driving at up to 50mph for

50 miles while you find somewhere to make repairs. In Europe / UK the E90 / E91 is offered with 3 years / unlimited miles warranty. If you have the money go for an E90 330i or a 320d which is just as quick in every way accept 0-60 and uses about 40% less fuel. Not such a nice exhaust note though.
Reply to
AdrianHi

I'm not completely sold on runflat's either, but they do have their advantages. Safety (watch the video on the BMW website on how the car handles during blowouts with both types of tires) and you don't have to get out in bad whether or hazardous road condition to change a flat. You can for up to 150 miles at lower speeds. When going on a long trip if your worried about getting stranded you could always carry another tire without rim with you. You have a flat you merely find a gas station within 150 miles and have it put on or have the bad tire repaired. Not a show stopper IMO and maybe even a benefit, depending on what's important to you.

Reply to
Jack Dotson

Personally, I get more satisfaction from owning and maintaining older cars in top condition than I would from driving a car new. People are often amazed to learn my cars are 10 (or more) year old after riding in one of them. Plus it makes a whole lot of financial sense.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

However the e90 330i is the best BMW 3 Series ever and at the moment getting a new one is the only way to get one!

Roger

Reply to
Roger Matthews

Yes, BMW diesels are very nice. Too bad they're not available in the US>

As for *run-flats*, sorry, still need to be proven. I would hope this is not a fad like those TRX tires used on the old E24/28/32 back in the

80s.....
Reply to
bfd

I knew diesels were not popular in the US, didn't know they were not available at all. Shame, the 330d might go down well over there. I think 40%+ of BMW sales are diesel in Europe. We do not seem to get the "x" 4 wheel drive versions in the UK :(. In the US the choice has to be 330i then, and I don't see any "Kinks" either, thought its early days yet, just 1200 miles so far. In europe there is a choice of tyre manufacturers offering run-flat tyres, no difficulty in getting hold of them. Seems to be Continental's out of the factory. Someone has to be first...

Reply to
AdrianHi

Agree, BMW has sold a diesel in the US since like 1987 or so when it offered it in the E28 5 Series. The 330d sounds like an excellent car.

But the one all the Euro writers rave about is the 535d. Supposedly that one has the torque of a V8 550i, but with waayyy better mileage.

If the US ever allows/offers the *better* diesel gas used in Euro, BMW, Mercedes and VW all have fantastic diesels and should sell like hotcakes!

Reply to
bfd

In some European countries diesel cars account for more than 50% of new registrations.

Even in historically 'anti-diesel' Britain it is over 30%, maybe even pushing 40% IIRC.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I've have just gone from a 2.5L V6 Mitsubishi Galant to a E91 320d.

0-60 acceleration is similar, in gear acceleration (manual gear box) is way better on the 320d than the Galant and almost a match for a 330i. I get 43mpg (Imperial gallon) =3D 35mpg (US gallon) saves me =A31000 / $1600 a year on fuel. The only thing I miss is the V6 exhaust note. The 330d manages a good exhaust note, almost matches a 330i 0-60 and totally blows it away for in gear acceleration and overtaking ability (all that torque). Should return around 40mpg (Imperial) / 33 mpg (US). I can only imagine what a 535d is like!!! People in Europe/UK are starting to buy deisels as much for performance as savings on fuel. Britain must be a lot less anti-diesel these days now that they are more refined and perform. Any BMW diesel holds its value better than the petrol/gas equivalent. Merc and VW do have good performing and economical dielels, the current crop are not as refined as BMW units though. Company car drivers pretty much have to go diesel or pertrol/electric hybrid. Company car taxes go up steeply the more carbon the car kicks out.
Reply to
AGH!

That's my point.

The first time I became aware of the power of a modern turbodiesel (maybe two years ago on an Audi 2.5 l) I was really very pleasantly surprised.

Thing is, what will the diesel price premium be when demand far outstrips the proportion in which it is fractionated?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Diesel is 2% over regular gas now, break even point is about 25% over. Diesel used to be cheaper than gas/petrol, as you suggest, more diesel cars is pushing the price up. Supercharged and Turbo charged (at the same time) gas/petrol engines will help redress the balance a bit soon. Small capacity engine fuel economy, big engine performance (314i performing like a 320i !!). VW call these TSI engines. Not convinced petrol/electric hybrids are of that much benfit outside cities.

Reply to
AGH!

In the eastern U.S., diesel has been at least 25% more than premium for quite a while. Not particularly attractive for increasing diesel model availability here! It also hurts, as the oil I heat my home with is very similar to diesel, and equally expensive.

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

I would be driving a 325i instead of a 320d if that was the situation in Europe. Adrian

Reply to
AGH!